NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Sat-IP advice - DVB-T2 and DVB-S2 combinations.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi there,

Apologies in advance for the technical nature of this but here goes:

My headless server is currently in my living room under my TV.

It contains a dual DVB-T tuner and a single DVB-S2 tuner. The server also contains four HDDS now and is getting a bit noisy to the extent that I want to move the server to another room.

I have a satellite dish on the side of my house that has a quad LNB but only one connection is being used.

I therefore have two coax cables running all the way round my living room to the server.

In addition to wanting to move my server, I also need some more tuner cards - it is not uncommon for me to be unable to watch Live TV due to a clash and I am only able to record HD from the single satellite tuner (I want to record everything in HD, if available).

Having done some research, it seems that SAT-IP would be the ideal solution. I could have the box where the satellite/aerial feeds enter the house and just run a single ethernet to cable to the server (so I can pretty much put it anywhere I want).

This is where it starts to get complicated - what combination of tuners should I get and can you get them in a single box?

Although there is a lot of duplication, there are some channels on Freesat that are not available on Freeserve and vice versa. I cannot, therefore, ditch one broadcast medium completely.

I originally thought that the best way forward would probably be a SAT-IP server with two DVB-S2 tuners and two DVB-T2 tuners.

1. Can you get this combination in a single SAT-IP device?
2. This is my current amp - http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...mode=model. You will note that it does not support HD sound.

This is not a problem on Freesat HD as it uses regular Dolby Digital.

However, Freeview HD uses something called HE-AAC for its sound. Am I correct in thinking that if I records something in 5.1, via one of the HD Freeview channels, I will only be able to play it back in stereo?

Again, apologies for the complex scenario - any advice would be much appreciated.
Rather then SAT-IP what about just moving the server and using a client in the living room? There are better clients then the RPi's, eg NextPVR for Windows and faster Kodi's.

Martin
Hi Martin,

Sorry - should clarify that I am already using a Pi2 in the living room as a client.

Essentially, therefore, the server could be moved now.

The problem is that the cabling for the aerial and satellite comes in from the back of the living room and would have to run all around the skirting boards to the new location - any additional satellite feeds will start adding additional coax, which will start getting rather messy.

One of the reasons to try and simplify my set up is my Mrs - she puts up with a of my drilling up the house and running cables everywhere but running any more cables, and all around the house, will be probably be a step too far.
I was going to suggest lengthening your satellite cables and running them into the server but you don't want to do that, it seems. Personally, I have a headless client with TV tuners in the living room, and the server managing storage (and a few VMs) is in the basement for storage. The NPVR server runs on the client (I tried running it on the server but couldn't get it to connect to the tuners when running under VMware ESXi).
elsmandino Wrote:Hi there,

Apologies in advance for the technical nature of this but here goes:

My headless server is currently in my living room under my TV.

It contains a dual DVB-T tuner and a single DVB-S2 tuner. The server also contains four HDDS now and is getting a bit noisy to the extent that I want to move the server to another room.

I have a satellite dish on the side of my house that has a quad LNB but only one connection is being used.

I therefore have two coax cables running all the way round my living room to the server.

In addition to wanting to move my server, I also need some more tuner cards - it is not uncommon for me to be unable to watch Live TV due to a clash and I am only able to record HD from the single satellite tuner (I want to record everything in HD, if available).

Having done some research, it seems that SAT-IP would be the ideal solution. I could have the box where the satellite/aerial feeds enter the house and just run a single ethernet to cable to the server (so I can pretty much put it anywhere I want).

This is where it starts to get complicated - what combination of tuners should I get and can you get them in a single box?

Although there is a lot of duplication, there are some channels on Freesat that are not available on Freeserve and vice versa. I cannot, therefore, ditch one broadcast medium completely.

I originally thought that the best way forward would probably be a SAT-IP server with two DVB-S2 tuners and two DVB-T2 tuners.

1. Can you get this combination in a single SAT-IP device?
2. This is my current amp - http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/aud...mode=model. You will note that it does not support HD sound.

This is not a problem on Freesat HD as it uses regular Dolby Digital.

However, Freeview HD uses something called HE-AAC for its sound. Am I correct in thinking that if I records something in 5.1, via one of the HD Freeview channels, I will only be able to play it back in stereo?

Again, apologies for the complex scenario - any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi

I'm intrigued to hear if you've been successful in connecting a SatIP box to an NPVR server.
liteswap Wrote:I'm intrigued to hear if you've been successful in connecting a SatIP box to an NPVR server.
I've got one here that works pretty well.

That said, mine is satellite only - not DVB-T like the original poster was asking about. I suspect NextPVR wont work with a DVB-T SAT-IP device (without me putting in some effort).
I'm DVB-S only too - but seem to have been bitten by the notion of building a SatIP server. I mean, how hard can it be?
I've got a Telestar Digibit R1. Basically just connected it to my satellite feed, and to the network, then scanned the device in NextPVR and it was good to go.
I guess what bugs about those devices is that they seem expensive for what they are. Two tuners, an Ethernet port, a lightweight Linux system to shuttle the bits between the two,and a box to put them in, all for around 200 euros. It should be much cheaper to build one yourself.
I've never looked into whether it's possible to build one yourself. I'm not sure if there is a free / opensource SAT>IP compliant server software stack available.
Pages: 1 2 3 4