NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Workable Decoder for Mpeg2 Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've been having more and more trouble lately watching Mpeg2 videos with NPVR. On most of them, I have sound but no video for about a minute, then a buzzing sound and then nothing. I can watch these same videos on KODI and with VLC so it has to be a NPVR codec problem. I've looked around but haven't really found anything that works. I'd like to hear if anyone has a codec that's working on all Mpeg2 videos. KODI plays everything but I prefer the NPVR program.
The Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder is working fine for MPEG2 videos here.
jd1940 Wrote:I've been having more and more trouble lately watching Mpeg2 videos with NPVR.

Is this recordings that have been made by NextPVR or videos from some other source?

NextPVR uses the decoders specified in Settings --> Decoders to play recordings. NextPVR asks Windows Media Player to play videos that are not recordings. The decoders used by WMP may be different to the decoders used by NextPVR for recordings.

For a video that is not a recording ... Does the video play in Windows Media Player?
These are videos downloaded from the internet. I have no problem with recordings I've made. I can still use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder on my Client machine even though I'm running Windows 10. The problem I'm having is on my client machine, by the way. While I have Media Player, I've never used it since it seems to want everything in libraries and I find it easier just to link to the actual files as I can in NPVR and KODI.

Well, this is interesting. I opened the file in Media Player Classic and it played just fine. So, I opened it in NPVR on the server and it played just fine there also. So, the problem seems to be on the Client, although I have no idea what that could be.
jd1940 Wrote:These are videos downloaded from the internet. I have no problem with recordings I've made. I can still use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Decoder on my Client machine even though I'm running Windows 10. The problem I'm having is on my client machine, by the way. While I have Media Player, I've never used it since it seems to want everything in libraries and I find it easier just to link to the actual files as I can in NPVR and KODI.

You need to post logs showing the problem, there is way more information in this second post. For files that aren't made by NextPVR you need to be able to have the proper codecs installed so that they play with default WMP settings. Typically if you install LAV fully, splitter and audio and video decoders you should be ok with most formats.

However if the files aren't mpeg-ts format and you import them into the NextPVR you won't be able to play them as Recordings on a NextPVR client. If you like the NextPVR Ui x-newa web client should be able to play them.

Martin
I'm going to spend some time working on the Client and I'll get back here after I see what I can accomplish. Tbanks for the information.
jd1940 Wrote:While I have Media Player, I've never used it

Simply stated, the software that is within Windows Media Player is the software used by NextPVR to play recordings and videos. For recording, NextPVR issues an instruction to WMP to play the file and to use the specific decoders in Settings --> Decoders. For Videos, NextPVR asks WMP to play the video using its default decoders.

The default decoders used by WMP depend partly upon the decoders that you have installed. It may be, for example, that you have installed many different decoders in an attempt to find what works best in NextPVR. The many decoders may have got in a pickle and you now have an unfortunate combination as the default in WMP. This unfortunate combination will not affect the playback of recordings because NextPVR specifies the exact decoders to be used for recordings.

It may be that a wholesale de-installation of unwanted decoders would help.
jd1940 Wrote:These are videos downloaded from the internet.
Since you're downloading these videos from the internet, they're unlikely to be .ts files. NextPVR's decoder settings only apply to playing .ts files and live tv. For all other types of files, NextPVR just askes Windows to choose what decoders to use. so....fiddling with the Setting->Decoders settings wont help you, since they're not used for .avi/.mp4/.mkv etc. If you install the LAV decoders on that machine, it'll give Windows a good set of decoders to use, and that should sort out your problems for those types of files.
sub...

Any reason why you didn't recommend the SAF decoder set? I thought the SAF package was the recommended set for NextPVR. Is SAF no good for WMP?
LAV is the standard and certainly best outside NextPVR (which is what that thread is about) SAF is actually just another codec pack that happens to bundle a mpeg2 codec that might not be legal in all countries that many NextPVR users like. I am happy with Microsoft's decoders which I consider as the standard for mpeg2 playback.

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3