NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Shared Folder Issue on Windows Parallels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! Trying to setup a NextDVR server on the Windows 10 side of my Parallels setup. Two issues:

1) When I select a shared drive for the recordings, a "Directory Warning" pops up: The recording service runs as a system user account, so won't see drive mappings made under this account. This can lead to failed recordings. Consider using UNC paths instead, or changing the user account used to run the recording service. You also need to ensure hare permissions allow writing to the directory.

I've tried multiple things here: UNC paths, checking shared settings, going into windows Services and telling it to log NextPVR in under my user name since I'm an administrator, etc. None of it works. Any ideas on this?

2) I setup a reserved DHCP on the Windows side so that it would keep the same IP: 192.168.1.21. However, when I try to access the NextPVR remotely, it won't work. It does work when I use "localhost:8866", but not "192.168.1.21:8866" remotely. I also setup port forwarding in my router for port 8866. I'm unable to access the server from my iPhone app, even when I'm on the same network.

Thanks!
mbailey7411 Wrote:1) When I select a shared drive for the recordings, a "Directory Warning" pops up: The recording service runs as a system user account, so won't see drive mappings made under this account. This can lead to failed recordings. Consider using UNC paths instead, or changing the user account used to run the recording service. You also need to ensure hare permissions allow writing to the directory.

I've tried multiple things here: UNC paths, checking shared settings, going into windows Services and telling it to log NextPVR in under my user name since I'm an administrator, etc. None of it works. Any ideas on this?
There is a ton of threads about these types of issues in the past, all some variation on the localsystem account being unable to see your share/server, or not having permission to write anything on your server, or firewall software blocking network access.

Quote:2) I setup a reserved DHCP on the Windows side so that it would keep the same IP: 192.168.1.21. However, when I try to access the NextPVR remotely, it won't work. It does work when I use "localhost:8866", but not "192.168.1.21:8866" remotely. I also setup port forwarding in my router for port 8866. I'm unable to access the server from my iPhone app, even when I'm on the same network.
Do you have 'allow remote access' ticked on the Settings->Clients screen?
I figured it out. You have to use your external IP address when accessing remotely. I feel like most people's responses to this type of problem assume way to much. I've used computers my whole life and am pretty well versed, but really haven't ever done much networking stuff so it is new to me.

If this problem was difficult for me, I can't imagine how the average person with little in-depth computer knowledge would figure it out. I'm really not sure why there wasn't a post that clearly outlined the following, maybe even with pictures:

In my case, I have Parallels installed on my Mac. The drive I wanted to save to was considered a network drive. When selecting it in NextPVR, you have to choose it from the Network folder as shown in the pic in order for it to use the UNC path since there is no way to TYPE the path. (This was a major point of confusion--everyone said to use UNC path naming without explaining how to acquire that path name).

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

To access remotely, you will need your internal and external IP and you'll need to port forward 8866 in your router.

1) Open command prompt
2) Run ipconfig
3) IPv4 Address is your local IP
4) Go to google and type "What's my ip" -- this is your external IP.
5) Use your router control panel to forward port 8866 using the Internal IP you acquired in step 3.
6) Access remotely by using your EXTERNAL IP:8866

Port forwarding is outside the scope of this post, but just know you can find many sites that will clearly tell you how to do that part.

This is really simple, but I don't feel like anyone laid it out like this.