NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Nextpvr crashes.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having problems since the last update of NextPvr....

I use Nextpvr on my server computer to stream content to Kodi clients (using the Nextpvr add-on) throughout the house --- as well as across the web outside of my network.

Well, since the last update of Nextpvr, streaming that content to ANY client causes the entire server computer to crash and reboot within 5-10 minutes of commencing that stream....and since I have my home automation system, security system and various weather station hardware running off that server computer..........this presents a problem.

Funny thing is, I can start NextPvr on that server computer and it will run for hours on end with nary a problem.

Unfortunately, about the time I updated NextPvr...... I also updated the Window 10 operating system to the latest insider version.........AND updated all my Kodi clients to the latest Kryton ver 17.1 build........ so, I'm not sure what updates of the software might be causing the crashing and re-booting problem.

Anybody have any ideas where I might start to look in order to resolve this issue ?

(oh, and I have tried wiping clean the entire NextPvr program and starting fresh innumerable times --- no luck)
You should start by reproducing the problem, then posting the logs.
sub Wrote:You should start by reproducing the problem, then posting the logs.

this is the best I could do...I re-installed again (after deleting the old instance of the program), then closed the program and deleted all old log files....I then restarted NPVR, restarted my Kodi client.

Sure enough, after about 20 minutes or so, Server computer crashed and restarted (nothing else running).

This is the capture of all the log files immediately after the restart (of course, after NPVR had restarted -- as it is an autostart program)

any ideas ?

I hate to be forced to try a different program.....I've been using NPVR for years
Quote:causes the entire server computer to crash and reboot
If the machine is literally rebooting, this is almost certainly something funky happening in the drivers. Do you get a blue screen driver crash message when it happens, otherwise look in the Windows Event Viewer for a crash message. This should tell us the faulting module, which will tell us the driver having the problem.
NthrnNYker Wrote:I
Unfortunately, about the time I updated NextPvr...... I also updated the Window 10 operating system to the latest insider version

Redstone 3 is too early to be installed for anything close to normal use.

Martin
sub Wrote:If the machine is literally rebooting, this is almost certainly something funky happening in the drivers. Do you get a blue screen driver crash message when it happens, otherwise look in the Windows Event Viewer for a crash message. This should tell us the faulting module, which will tell us the driver having the problem.

Well, that's what I initially thought......but then, if NextPVR operates on the server itself and displays channels from each of the five attached tuners for hours at a time without flaw, I don't think it can be related to the tuner drivers....... it just will not stream to Kodi clients across my LAN and across the internet ---- only when I try to does the computer crash.

Further, since nothing I tried prevented the crashing of Nextpvr and the server computer itself, I am currently dabbling with Media Portal -- streaming to my various Kodi clients........So far, not a single crash nor glitch in 36 hours of straight operation.

But unfortunately, I find MediaPortal extraordinarily complicated and very user-unfriendly.... I loved the ease and simplicity of NextPVR.

I can only conclude the problem lies with the NextPVR upgrade.

Anybody take a look at the log files ?
NthrnNYker Wrote:Anybody take a look at the log files ?

Yes but nothing stands out. Does it crash when you don't have the internet connected device attached? Not sure how long the security context will stay open.

Martin
NthrnNYker Wrote:Well, that's what I initially thought......but then, if NextPVR operates on the server itself and displays channels from each of the five attached tuners for hours at a time without flaw, I don't think it can be related to the tuner drivers....... it just will not stream to Kodi clients across my LAN and across the internet ---- only when I try to does the computer crash.
Is the machine rebooting? If so, then it will almost certainly be a driver issue, and the best way to fix it is going to be find the faulting module name on the reboot message, or in the Windows Event Viewer.

If another app is runing without rebooting, then doesn't really tell you much, other than it's not doing the series of things the driver doesn't like. Given it's not rebooting for anyone else, it's unlikely to be any general NextPVR issue, but rather something specific to your combination of hardware and drivers and version of operating system.

Your best bet is going to be able to find a Windows even message telling us why the machine choose to reboot.