NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Adding a single new channel to the lineup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Evening all, running 3.9.2 on Windows 10, using Kodi as a front end, with schedules coming from ScheduleDirect. My cable provider has just given me HBO free for a bit, so I want to add that to my channel lineup. However, I can't see a way to add a single new channel to the channel lineup. The only way I see to do this is to rescan the complete channel lineup and then make sure the new channel is selected. But given that there are literally hundreds of channels I don't want in my lineup, this is a pain.

So, is there a sinple way to add a single new channel to an existing channel lineup?

Thanks!
What device are you getting the channels from? (ie, process is a bit different depending on the type of device)
I have an HD HomeRun tuner.

I was able to add a single channel by exporting the current channels from NPVR Devices settings, then editing the exported channels-QAM.xml file with the new channel tune information (from HDHR setup utility), and then importing the edited channels-QAM.xml file. After that I did an Update EPG in the NPVR Channels settings and the new channel showed up in the EPG and was able to watch it. I had to do some searching after logging in to the Schedules Direct website to find the station id number to use in the file that I edited (you can get a 30sec raw data dump from http://www.schedulesdirect.org/getdata).

This was a lot of work too so maybe the channel scan would be quicker?

I remember that the old WMC program was able to add a single channel which was fairly easy to do. It would be nice if NPVR could do that Smile
sub Wrote:What device are you getting the channels from? (ie, process is a bit different depending on the type of device)

All of my channels are coming from two HD HomeRun Prime devices, each with CableCards installed. These are fed from my Verizon FiOS box.
VCR58 Wrote:I remember that the old WMC program was able to add a single channel which was fairly easy to do. It would be nice if NPVR could do that Smile

Hah, that was exactly what I was hoping to unearth.
Rescan your HDHR Prime channels in NPVR, edit the resulting list so that only the new channel is selected, then hit OK.

It will add the new channel to your existing list. I do this quite often with my Prime.
2leftfeet Wrote:Rescan your HDHR Prime channels in NPVR, edit the resulting list so that only the new channel is selected, then hit OK.

I have done this too and it's pretty easy.

You can also create a custom channel scan that limits the range of the scan so it doesn't take so long. C:/Users/Public/NPVR/Tuning/QAM contains the files that appear in the drop down list you selected when you first did a scan. Edit one of the files that you selected before and rename it to something else. The first line is what appears in the drop down list so make sure it is unique.
VCR58 Wrote:You can also create a custom channel scan that limits the range of the scan so it doesn't take so long. C:/Users/Public/NPVR/Tuning/QAM contains the files that appear in the drop down list you selected when you first did a scan. Edit one of the files that you selected before and rename it to something else. The first line is what appears in the drop down list so make sure it is unique.

I don't think that this method will work with an HDHR Prime with a CableCard. It doesn't use QAM tuning scanning to get the list of channels. Instead, it gets the list of channels directly from the HDHR (which gets them from the CableCard subscription/configuration).
richardtheb Wrote:My cable provider has just given me HBO free for a bit, so I want to add that to my channel lineup.

FYI: if your cable provider is simply giving you a temporary "subscription" to a "copy-once" channel, then you still won't be able to access/use it in NextPVR. NextPVR can only play/record "copy-freely" channels--even if you have a valid subscription to a copy-once channel.