NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Slow startup for channels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No idea if this is the right place...
But I use the NEWA client to test it.

When I start a channel it takes 15 seconds before I see something.
What's the reason that it takes so long?

It's both with the new guide as with the old guide. Starting the stream from that point.

See the logs for more information.
Tuning into the channels starts around 06/06/2017 7:17:31 and tuning into the channel was done at 06/06/2017 7:17:46

Do I use wrong decoders,.... Or is it something else?
What browser are you using? Some are slower than others. ie, some can insist on buffering 10+ seconds of video before they'll start playback. This is fine when video is from a source that already exists on disk (like a recording), but when it comes to live tv, it'll take you 10 seconds to supply 10 seconds of video.

At the end of the day, live tv playback in the web app is never going to be super quick, because of the technologies you need to use. You can watch streams in VLC, Kodi or other clients and get video quickly, or watching in NextPVR's own UI.
Firefox & Chrome

What's than different with VLC, Kodi or the NextPVR's UI? When I try it with emby it's the same time. Also 15 seconds. The people also doesn't like that it takes that much time to start a channel..
Svekke Wrote:What's than different with VLC, Kodi or the NextPVR's UI?
VLC/Kodi/NextPVR can all play the native broadcast streams (H.264 / MPEG2 / AC3 / EAC3 / HE-AAC etc), and the players in these apps understand live streams can't supply huge amounts of buffered data before playback begins.

Browsers will only typically play H.264 video and AAC audio, so the streams typically need to be transcoded from their native format first. This adds a couple of seconds.

Also, the player components in browsers typically expect that they're playing pre-existing files, so try to buffer 8-10 or so seconds before they start playback.

(if you're going to ask why live streams of say CNN etc start quickly in your browser - it's because they're continuously encoding and publishing the stream....so the browser can quickly ask for the 10 or so seconds of stream (from before you wanted to watch it) and start playback...contrast this with NextPVR which has to start your tuner and encode for 10 seconds before it can supply 10 seconds of stream)

Quote:When I try it with emby it's the same time. Also 15 seconds.
Yeah, Emby is slow too, because of the way Emby works. NextPVR is supplying it's stream to Emby in less than 2 seconds, but Emby adds a huge amount of time before you see it (because it transcodes the stream, and supplies to browser which wants to buffer etc). If you run VLC, and open a network stream like http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=123, which is the same interface that Emby uses, you'll see how quickly NextPVR is delivering the stream