NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Decoders
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

been messing around with different decoder configurations.

I am trying the Microsoft one which worked with my Happauge PVR but not with my HDHomerun prime

Getting the below error

Is this a setting I am overlooking or is it just not compatible?

This particular decoder works with some channels, but not with others. I suppose certain channels are broadcasting using different codecs?

And while I am on the subject, i do NOT mind paying money if I have to buy decoders. what is the best ones I can possibly get for NPVR? As I said, i will purchase if needed.

Since I got my HDHomerun prime some strange things have been happening (while using the Cyber Video SP/Decoder For the MPEG 2 option) to recordings and I suspect it is a decoder issue

For example, every so often as my recordings are playing back it is as if I have a 1/2 second of the video missing (a drop ?)....You can hear a word missing from a sentence if someone on the TV is speaking. not a major issues, but, the issue is there and it is bugging me
Microsoft in their infant wisdom removed MPEG2 support starting with Win 8.0. They did return MPEG2 support in Win 10 version CU but only for UWP apps from the Windows store. NextPVR is NOT a UWP app. There have been reports of getting MPEG2 to work if you purchased the DVD player app from the Windows store. Confirmation from anyone who has gone this route would be appreciated. I, personally, use SAF(unlocked).

Here is the official NextPVR link for video encoders:http://www.nextpvr.com/decoders.html

For AC3 audio support just about everyone uses LAV.
Yep, what he said.

You're able to use the Microsoft decoder with your HDPVR because it's making H.264 video. With the HDHomeRun Prime you're getting MPEG2. By default only H264 is enabled in the Microsoft decoders.
Thanks all

I followed the 32 bit installer using these instructions and it looks like it allowed me to enable the MPEG2 codec now

https://matthill.eu/tutorials/install-wi...ayer-free/

Not sure what other settings I need to play with (if any) so I am going to see how this goes
So these are my current settings right now. Just wondering what other people use for the H264 Decoder. Not sure if I should be using the Microsoft ones. I am very confused when it comes to all of this.

Just looking for some ideas

Smile
GaryJ73167 Wrote:So these are my current settings right now. Just wondering what other people use for the H264 Decoder. Not sure if I should be using the Microsoft ones. I am very confused when it comes to all of this.
I generally use the Microsoft decoder for MPEG2 and H.264. It's a good decoder.
Thank you for all of the help that I have been getting here.

I have another question because something that is happening is driving me crazy. I am very picky when it comes to this type of thing

EVER since I replaced my PVR until with this HD Homerun Prime, the channels that broadcast in H.264 drop a frame every once in a while. During a 45 minute TV show, it may happen only 2 times. And it is so quick, that maybe only a portion of a single word may get lost. This may not seem like much to a lot of people reading this, but, the fact that it is happening is really bugging me.

I am ALMOST positive it is only happening with the H.264 broadcasts. The file seizes are small (1.6GB per hour) and my VideoREDO software (for removing commercials) seems to struggle and lag with these files. the MPEG-2 channels are larger and dont seem to have this issue (this is all still a work in progress of trying to figure this stuff out, but, these are my conclusions so far). And, with the MPEG-2 channels, VideoREDO handles them like a champ. There is just something about these H.264 broadcasts that i cant put my finger on, but, something is off

So, something I noticed. I can actually go into NPVR settings and go to my channel lineup on my devices and change actual channel numbers from H.264 to MPEG-HD. And it still works and still records. But my question is, if the channel is broadcasting in H.264, by me changing that option, am I really changing anything ? Or am I just wasting my time.

I am certain it isn't VideoREDO that is dropping the frames because I compared the same file (1 before commercials are removed, and 1 after. and the same exact spots of the video dropped frames.) This is just a random thing. it doesent happen at any particular point of the video. And as stated, in a 1 hour video, it may only happen twice....but, the fact that it is happening at all really bugs me.

Arggh :/

Haha..... Any ideas?
GaryJ73167 Wrote:So, something I noticed. I can actually go into NPVR settings and go to my channel lineup on my devices and change actual channel numbers from H.264 to MPEG-HD. And it still works and still records. But my question is, if the channel is broadcasting in H.264, by me changing that option, am I really changing anything ? Or am I just wasting my time.
It makes no difference to recording.

It does make a difference to Live TV - this effectively tells the app whether to use a MPEG2 or H.264 video decoder. So, you need it set correctly or you just get black in Live TV.
It could be the cable company. just saying. Do you see the same thing happening when you use the SD HD HomeRun app?
If you have added a splitter to feed both your STB for the HDPVR and the Prime remember that you have lost several db of signal strength, effectively adding a two way split and a three way split. As I posted earlier 1.6GB for for one hour of HD doesn't feel right and there could be lots of errors. We might see that bitrate in the future with HEVC but not with h264

Martin
Pages: 1 2