NextPVR Forums

Full Version: HDHomerun Prime Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Before I even start this post, I want to let everyone know that the issue I am about to post is not limited to NPVR. But, with all of the knowledge in these subs, I thought maybe someone would be kind enough to help me out Smile

So, I have a windows 10 machine. i5, 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD Nvidia GT860 that i run NPVR on. A machine decent enough to record TV. I had a Happauge 1212 PVR and never had a single issue. I recently switched from direct TV to xfinity and also upgraded my recording device. I now have an HDHomerun prime.

I really love this device. 3 tuners, and I am all set.

So, something I noticed though.

All of my recordings (not very often, but, maybe once per hour) a section of the video (for a fraction of a second) is dropped. As an example, I may miss 1/2 a word. I know this doesent sound like much to some people, but this is REALLY bugging me. I have played the videos in just about every possible video player I can get my hands on, and it is all the same result. It appears the dropout is happening during the recording process.

I know this isn't the fault of NPVR. i have tried numerous different encoders as well. And, no matter what, this 1/2 second drop out comes back to haunt me.

My internet connection is SOLID at my house. Netgear AC1900 router all hard wired. So, I dont think it is my network that is lagging

Does anyone else here with the HDHomerun prime have this issue ?

I am noticing this on channels that broadcast in h.264 mostly. perhaps that is where my problem lies?

What is everyone else's experience with the HDHomerun prime ? Am I the only one with this issue ?
Maybe try removing any extra splitters on the cable line. A decent-but-not-perfect signal might explain the occasional frame being dropped.

I've not heard other reports of this, so I don't think it's any general HDHomeRun Prime issue.
sub Wrote:Maybe try removing any extra splitters on the cable line. A decent-but-not-perfect signal might explain the occasional frame being dropped.

I've not heard other reports of this, so I don't think it's any general HDHomeRun Prime issue.

Thank you so much for the reply. This is driving me crazy.

I will try that now and see what happens

Can this also be network related? Or does this sound more like a signal issue ?
Just so you know you aren't alone on this issue, I have experienced the same thing with my Prime on Comcast. As you said, it is h.264 stations that it seems to happen the most on and is not limited to the Prime. I have an OTA HDHOMERUN too and it happens there. I have just been accepting it and haven't worried about it. But it is a bit annoying if it comes at a bad time in the show and I actually miss something.

Oh well. Join the club.
ps: I do have some splitters in both my cable line and antenna line, but still have a very strong signal from both. Not sure if this gives anyone a lead, but I find it happens most often when I am watching an old TV show broadcast in Black and White (like Perry Mason).
ReplayHarry Wrote:Just so you know you aren't alone on this issue, I have experienced the same thing with my Prime on Comcast. As you said, it is h.264 stations that it seems to happen the most on and is not limited to the Prime. I have an OTA HDHOMERUN too and it happens there. I have just been accepting it and haven't worried about it. But it is a bit annoying if it comes at a bad time in the show and I actually miss something.

Oh well. Join the club.
ps: I do have some splitters in both my cable line and antenna line, but still have a very strong signal from both. Not sure if this gives anyone a lead, but I find it happens most often when I am watching an old TV show broadcast in Black and White (like Perry Mason).

Thanks for your reply.

This makes me very sad. I am almost tempted to go back to DirectTV because of this. Dammit.

I just switched the lcation of my HDHomerun to a different spot in my house. A spot with no splitters and a network hub. I am not holding out much hope right now. :/
I have both a Prime and an Connect (for OTA) and have not seen this issue. If you think your signal levels may be an issue, log into the Prime device's web page (tuner status section) and let me know what you are seeing for signal strength and signal quality. However, to me, what you are describing sounds more like a flaky network issue. It could be your local network or your provider's network - I had an issue similar to yours when I had Comcast as a provider. But the problem magically disappeared when I switched to Verizon - all using the same equipment and software, except for the cable card that goes into the Prime.

For network monitoring, I use a freebee network monitoring tool called Networx. Run the program monitor your network adapter during a recording and see if you can detect any glitches that correspond in time to the dropouts in your recording.
Thanks for the reply. below is my card status. (keep in mind that this is my status in the new location in my house. i didnt get a screenshot before I moved the prime)

I have it on a different location in my house now and am going to see how it works out.

It is GUARANTEED to happen at least 1 time in a 1 hour show so I am going to watch it to find out if all is good.

I want to like this HDhomerun Prime. I REALLY want to like it, but, if this is a network issue, i dont have the knowledge or the ambition to poke around in my network. All worked fine on DirectTV. I may just turn in all of my Comcast equipment and go back to the direct TV setup. i dont want to do that, but may have no choice here.

I alos get 100MBS down and 6MBS up and (i think) have a strong LAN speed. i am able to watch 1080P 60fps in just about every TV in my house using Chromecast and Plex. Not sure if that info helps.
At the location where the above status was taken, your signal levels & SNR are excellent based upon data I have from SilconDust. I sincerely doubt if signal levels are the culprit, at least at that location. With those levels, you could tolerate several splitters (3.5 dB loss for a 2-way, 6.5 dB loss for a 4-way) and an extra hundred feet of RG6 coax (~6 dB/ 100' loss) before experiencing signal level issues.

I still believe it is a networking issue. Do you have an alternate router that you could try?
Also, I am assuming you are using wired gigabit Ethernet, correct?
GaryJ73167 Wrote:Can this also be network related? Or does this sound more like a signal issue ?
Who knows - it could be either. It just sounds like something along the way is loosing some data.
Pages: 1 2