NextPVR Forums

Full Version: New Install - Nothing but static
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just lost a hard drive and had to install everything fresh. I am running Windows 10 v15063 and using a Hauppage HVR 1600. Everything was working great before the drive failed but now I can't get NPVR to work even though everything appears to be set up correctly.

All I get is static from the LiveTV and recordings (it does record just fine) produce nothing but static as well. No combination of renderer/decoders seems to make any difference. It has been ages since I set up NPVR but in the past I believe it "just worked" for me and I don't recall fiddling with anything.

I have no idea where to start. Can someone nudge me in the right direction?
Since you're getting static, it sounds like you're doing analog. Maybe your cable company has stopped it's analog transmissions since you last used it? Most cable companies have shut down their analog channels now.

Are you still getting any channels with the Hauppauge WinTV software?
sub Wrote:Since you're getting static, it sounds like you're doing analog. Maybe your cable company has stopped it's analog transmissions since you last used it? Most cable companies have shut down their analog channels now.

Are you still getting any channels with the Hauppauge WinTV software?

Just checked, static on WinTV as well and NPVR is set up as analog. The cable company (Cox) does require a box on all lines now as it is digital and there is a set top box attached to the computer as the monitor is also a TV. Is there a different configuration I should be using or do I need a new tuner card?
Keeping the card you can either do a digital QAM scan and hope you get some channels that way, or you can connect a set top box and configure NextPVR to get the channels from composite/svideo (and add an IR Blaster to your setup so NextPVR can change channels as-needed).
sub Wrote:Keeping the card you can either do a digital QAM scan and hope you get some channels that way, or you can connect a set top box and configure NextPVR to get the channels from composite/svideo (and add an IR Blaster to your setup so NextPVR can change channels as-needed).
OK.. I have a set top box and it is controlled with an IR Blaster (this has always been the setup)

Assuming I can track down an old SVIDEO cable, How do I configure NPVR to get channels from SVIDEO? I see this option in the WinTV config but it does not appear in NPVR.
OK, I was playing around in NPVR and think I found the S-Video/Composite option on the device.

So, if I understand this correctly, the coax cable from the STB to the tuner card is now completely useless.

I need to find a cable that converts yellow/red/white composite to S-Video (with 3.5 audio) to run from the STB to the tuner card.

Then I need to set up WinTV and NPVR to use the composite/S-Video.

Is this correct?

As an aside - while solving the problem with a single cable is ok for now, are there cards out there that would use the coax from the STB or is that a thing of the past?

Thanks
stu2j Wrote:As an aside - while solving the problem with a single cable is ok for now, are there cards out there that would use the coax from the STB or is that a thing of the past?
Thanks
Is this card the solution to my problem and does it work well the NPVR?

Hauppauge Colossus 2 PCI Express Internal 1080p HD-PVR
stu2j Wrote:It has been ages since I set up NPVR but in the past I believe it "just worked" for me and I don't recall fiddling with anything.

What was the setup that "just worked"? How were all the devices and cables connected together? Was the old setup recording and playing recordings immediately before the Hard drive broke?
Graham Wrote:What was the setup that "just worked"? How were all the devices and cables connected together? Was the old setup recording and playing recordings immediately before the Hard drive broke?
The setup was an HVR 1600 with a Cox Motorola STB (coax from STB direct to the card). IR Blaster from card to STB. The last recordings (I believe) would have been Archer Season 8 (last episode in May 2017) and everything was working just fine.
Hold the fort and stop the presses.. it appears to be working. I accidentally reset the cable box while screwing around and it came on. Now the IR Blaster isn't changing channels ... another problem but it appears I'm back in business.
Pages: 1 2