NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Could someone explain how recordings work please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When you record a movie / to show

Are you freely able to copy the file to be viewed on different devices or are the files encrypted / locked to next PVR . every hard drive that I have used to record programs inside a DVR or USB attached to TVs for recording won't let you access the files via a comouter for editing or copying

I there a way to remove adverts from files

Thanks everybody for helping me with the many simple questions and threads
Sharpy420 Wrote:When you record a movie / to show

Are you freely able to copy the file to be viewed on different devices ... I there a way to remove adverts from files ...

For UK Freeview, the recording file is in in standard format (MPEG2 for SD and H264 for HD) and the recorded files can be copied to and played on any device that plays those formats (which is almost everything) ... NextPVR supports several different clients ... for example, you have mentioned Kodi ... You should be able to play recordings on any device that runs Kodi.

Comskip is software that removes ads but folk have reported problems getting it to reliably cut ads in the UK ... you may have better luck ... http://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?...ty.ComSkip
Thanks for that graham

What audio format are the recordings in stereo MP3 ? 6ch AC3?

My plan is to Put a 4 tuner card into my computer that already runs 24/7 running network tasks and share that tv signal to watch and schedule recordings from other devices in my house 3 TV's with Computers Running Kodi.

From there I would like to archive some recordings to my nas on a weekly basis

What sort of processing power would be required for the watching and recording of 4 channels Maby 8 if upgraded to 2 cards
Sharpy420 Wrote:What audio format are the recordings in stereo MP3 ? 6ch AC3?
Assuming you're using a digital tuner, the audio will be in whatever format it was original broadcast. ie, might be MPEG1, HE-AAC, AC3, E-AC3 etc, ranging from stereo to 5.1.

Quote:What sort of processing power would be required for the watching and recording of 4 channels Maby 8 if upgraded to 2 cards
In general, recording from a digital tuner isn't that hard on a machine. I've been recording 16 channel simultaneous on a regular desktop PC.
Sharpy420 Wrote:Thanks for that graham

What audio format are the recordings in stereo MP3 ? 6ch AC3?

My plan is to Put a 4 tuner card into my computer that already runs 24/7 running network tasks and share that tv signal to watch and schedule recordings from other devices in my house 3 TV's with Computers Running Kodi.

From there I would like to archive some recordings to my nas on a weekly basis

What sort of processing power would be required for the watching and recording of 4 channels Maby 8 if upgraded to 2 cards

Freeview HD content has audio in stereo HE-AAC format. (I thought I recall seeing a movie or "big" show like Sherlock in 5.1 but can't find an example).

CPU load for recording is absolutely bugger all.

Keep in mind that NPVR does this clever trick of being able to record multiple shows from the same mux simultaneously, thereby only using up 1 tuner to record more than 1 show. for example, BBC1,2 and 4 are all on the same mux so recording a show from all 3 at the same time, only uses up 1 tuner. somthing to keep in mind before buying 8!

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes
Thanks everyone for the answers I needed to Understand you are a great community I can see that already
BTW, you can setup your recording directories in NPVR to your NAS and you won't have to move them.

Use the traditional windows network paths instead of mapped drives like this:
Code:
\\Sharpy420NAS\_TVdir\NPVR

I don't know what you use to watch video's off your NAS but I have great success with Serviio on all my devices. I use imageGrabLite in my scripts to make NFO's too to read info re the video's within Serviio.
I've been using an HTPC for watching and recording DVB-T for several years and have been using VideoRedo TV Suite (current version 5). It does fast edits and has an Ad Detective that searches a file, finds all the ads and inserts cut points for editing. It relies on the the brief black period before an ad starts and the channel logo disappearing during ads. I was an early adopter and only paid about $US25 but I think it's much more now. My 2c.
Removing adverts is the next thing on my list so I can archive some videos