NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Recording files to temp folder filling up HD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Just recently NPVR is recording all of these 6 minute 40 second .ts files to the temp directory and filling up my hard drive. I never changed anything so i don't know where to turn this off. I have to go in and delete them before they crash my computer. I've been using this for about 2 years and this just started. How do i turn it off ?
Thanks
Mike
stop the recording service, then delete the temp files - restart service
2leftfeet Wrote:stop the recording service, then delete the temp files - restart service

I don't want to do this every three days. Why is it happening? and how can i prevent it ?
Normally when you watch a live stream, it'll create up to four buffer files, covering approximately 20 minutes of time. When the fourth file is complete, it'll create a fifth, and delete the oldest one. ie, in effect only having four files at a time. When you stop the stream, it'll delete those four files. So...they shouldn't fill up your hard disk.

If you have something unexpected happening, like the software crashing, that causes these files to get left behind, they should be removed next time the recording service is started (like when you reboot).
sub Wrote:Normally .....
If you have something unexpected happening, like the software crashing, that causes these files to get left behind, they should be removed next time the recording service is started (like when you reboot).

sub, this is true most of the time, but sometimes, I have found, that those files aren't always removed. I have seen crashes (particularly with the kodi client*) where files keep accumulating after the crash.

I use a script that fires off on boot or resume from sleep to make sure those files are deleted.

* (The cause of this appears to be that the server is unaware that the kodi client crashes - keeping the tuner in use and causing continuous stream data to accumulate until the disk fills up or the operator manually intervenes. - there seems to be no signaling or sense on the server's part that the client is no longer functioning and to stop the stream and free the tuner)
2leftfeet Wrote:sub, this is true most of the time, but sometimes, I have found, that those files aren't always removed.
Are you on 4.0.4? This fixed the couple of scenarios I could find where files got left behind.

Quote:(The cause of this appears to be that the server is unaware that the kodi client crashes - keeping the tuner in use and causing continuous stream data to accumulate until the disk fills up or the operator manually intervenes. - there seems to be no signaling or sense on the server's part that the client is no longer functioning and to stop the stream and free the tuner)
It uses the TCP connection for transferring the data to Kodi, and as soon as Windows reports the connection is broken, it stops the streaming and cleans up. Are you able to reproduce at will? If so, it might be worth me taking a look at the logs.
1. the server is using 4.0.4, client uses kodi 17.4

2. I am not able to reproduce at will, sometimes it works as you describe, others as I describe. If it happens, it occurs on a crash of the kodi client, which admittedly, is rare, but it does happen. The next time it does happen, I will try to remember to collect the logs.
Just a quick thought, set that "server" to reboot at a certain time of the night when you're not using it or have it shut off and use the bios to start it up at a good point in the AM before you'd even use it, daily, see if the problem goes away, as with most Windows operating systems, leaving them on too long (24+ hrs) will result in heavy memory fragmentation and services will quietly fail in the background until which point nothing works right, you could be falling victim to that and not knowing it.

GuruSR.
GuruSR - who are you addressing? If me, my server already re-boots every night as part of the PostUpdateEPG.bat script.

BTW, I was in Ontario last week - great place, except for the sales taxes - were killers, lol.
sub Wrote:Are you on 4.0.4? This fixed the couple of scenarios I could find where files got left behind.

It uses the TCP connection for transferring the data to Kodi, and as soon as Windows reports the connection is broken, it stops the streaming and cleans up. Are you able to reproduce at will? If so, it might be worth me taking a look at the logs.

sub, this has happened to my wife twice in the last two days and three times in the last two weeks. the kodi client crashes for whatever reason, and the server keeps the tuner locked and keeps accumulating data in the buffer folder. Attached are the server logs.

Normally, when I am watching LiveTV, I can figure out if this issue has occurred and fix accordingly. But when it happens to my wife or children, I don't always find out about until the buffer directory is filled. Is there any way that you could add the client's IP to WinTray to help me "quickly" identify which client has caused the hiccup, particularly when I am not the viewer of liveTV?

Thanks,
Pages: 1 2 3