NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cannot get stable picture & audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, this is the first time i've attempted to setup a tv tuner so at this point i'm not sure where the issue lies. I'll detail what I have done and hopefully someone can confirm if i've done it right or made any glaring errors:

Installed TBS6902 DVB-S2 card into pc running Windows 10 and installed the Windows 10 driver from their website
Installed NextPVR & went into Device Settings. The tuner card was present and enabled showing 2 tuners
Went into device setup & set settings on "Single Satellite" and "0282 Astra 2E/2F/2G (28.2E)"
Scanned the channels, updated the EPG and the settings were copied to the second tuner
Recording & Live TV Buffer pointed to a folder on an SSD. So far so good.

I then tried to watch a Live Channel and was told the Windows MPEG2 could not be used. Downloaded FFDSHOW and enabled mpeg2. Loaded the channel again and got a pixelated mess with audio cutting in and out. I then re-installed the Windows MPEG2 decoder using the cmd line & powershell (found a tutorial) and when I switched over to that decoder I had the same result (pixelated image and skipping audio).

I then installed SAF 6 using the tutorial which uninstalled FFDSHOW installing the Auto refresh plugin also. This provided about 3 other decoder choices and I tried them all but the issue persists.

Confident that the issue was not decoder related having tried so many I looked to the cabling. I had tested the cabling the day before the card installation on a Sky box and it showed high signal strength and quality so I doubted this was the issue but wanted to be thorough. I moved the pc into the living room to test with the cables in there (Sky box has been running on this cabling for 6 years with no issues). The result was exactly the same bad picture and audio.

So I turned my attention to the drivers however there are not much to choose from. A windows 32 & 64 and a Windows 10 32 & 64. I tested them all with the exact same result. I also tried Media Portal 2 in case the issue was NextPVR with no improvement. One thing I have not figured out how to do is check the signal strength & quality when the cables are connected up to the pc, can this be done in NextPVR or do I need another utility?

At this point I am at a complete loss unless the problem is the tuner card itself?? Does anyone here have this card and is using it for UK Freesat? Is there anything else I can try before returning the card and trying another brand? Something obvious I have missed that should have been completed?

Many thanks in advance.

Jon
Try doing a recording, then play the resulting .ts file in another player like VLC. This will tell use if it's recording (signal etc) or a playback problem (decoders).
Sorry, I did try that but forgot to mention it. The recording was identical to the live tv (all pixelated etc).
Did you play it in another player though? Like VLC? ie, to rule out playback issues with decoders etc in NextPVR.
If you're get pixelated playback in other players, then it'll likely be signal related.
Hi, yes I ran it through VLC. That's what made me reconsider if the signal\cabling was at fault. But having tested the new cabling with a Sky box and then moving the pc to the living room with the old cabling which I know has been fine for years (still in use) I can't see the signal being the problem.

It would be good to measure the signal on the pc but I haven't find a way to do so yet. That only seems to leave the tuner card being the issue unless there is anything else I can try?
Yeah, possibly the tuner card. Best bet is to check it in some other software.
I installed media portalwith the same results. Very odd, I've ordered a different card so I'll test that tomorrow. I'll past back the results, thanks for your help.
Well I have installed the new DVBSky S952 card and everything appears to now be fine. Going to finish the setup Smile

Thanks for you help

Jon