NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Device detected but scan shows no channels using Shaw Cable in Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello from Canada;

I recently made the painful switch from Windows Media Centre & Windows 7 to building a new PC with Windows 10. I installed an Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 card from an older PC and Windows device manager says the device is working properly.

When I go into the settings for NextPVR and select the devices tab it's listed as Hauppauge WinTV 885. I am using a cable box so I select QAM and run the scan on Default Cable Frequencies, Default Cable Frequencies 70+, and HRC Cable Frequencies and wait for the scan to complete and no channels are listed.

I am using a Shaw Cable digital cable box (ARRIS DCX-32000M) as I need it to decrypt the signal (apparently) and using an HD converter to downgrade the video from the HDMI cable to S-video and connecting that to the tuner card. Not pretty, but it worked on the Windows Media Centre PC.

I tried taking the coxaxial cable from the cable box and connected that to the tuner card and same result: no channels listed.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to have the WinTV software installed?

Thank you in advance.
Yes install WinTV to install the required analog support for svideo. Don't bother with clear qam in Canada.

Martin
Yes, you'll need WinTV installed. After that you'll see an 'Analog' device listed on the Settings->Devices tab.

Since you're connected via svideo, you'll need to use the 'Import' button, rather than 'Scan', and enter your Schedules Direct or XMLTV listing info, so that it knows what channels it can receive via your set top box.