NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Archive feature - how's it supposed to work?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to use the Archive feature to move recordings to another drive, in order to free up space on my local drive for further recordings. However, once I select archive the files are still present on the original drive, taking up disk space. If I then delete the original file that is still present, then the archived version is also deleted. Is this normal behaviour? Am I able to move the recording some other way?

Thanks in advance.
The Archive feature asks Windows to "move" the file, so you definitely shouldn't end up with it in two locations. (behind the scenes Windows probably does a copy followed by a delete)

If you can reproduce the error, I'm happy to take a look at the logs covering the time of the attempt, to check for any reported errors etc.
sub Wrote:The Archive feature asks Windows to "move" the file, so you definitely shouldn't end up with it in two locations. (behind the scenes Windows probably does a copy followed by a delete)

If you can reproduce the error, I'm happy to take a look at the logs covering the time of the attempt, to check for any reported errors etc.

Logs attached. I tried archiving 'Mr Deeds' at 2.30pm today (Jan 14).

Thanks!
mattyb Wrote:Logs attached. I tried archiving 'Mr Deeds' at 2.30pm today (Jan 14).

Thanks!

I'm getting an error saying my log file exceeds 2.28MB... here's a google drive link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12Qr6O8...x6nrOEHpGo
Quote:2018-01-14 14:33:03.699 [DEBUG][5] ArchiveRecording(26895:Mr. Deeds, Archive - Recorded Movies)
2018-01-14 14:33:04.700 [DEBUG][40] Source File: C:\Recordings\Mr. Deeds (2002)\Mr..Deeds.(2002).ts
2018-01-14 14:33:04.700 [DEBUG][40] Target File: F:\Movies\Recorded\Mr. Deeds (2002)\Mr..Deeds.(2002).ts
2018-01-14 14:33:04.700 [DEBUG][40] Archiving...
2018-01-14 14:33:04.701 [DEBUG][40] No C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\PreArchive.bat
2018-01-14 14:35:29.372 [DEBUG][40] Also moving: C:\Recordings\Mr. Deeds (2002)\Mr..Deeds.(2002).xml
2018-01-14 14:35:29.393 [DEBUG][40] No C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\PostArchive.bat
2018-01-14 14:35:29.393 [DEBUG][40] Archiving Complete
There is no sign of anything going wrong there. Did you end up with the file in both places?

Is F:\ a local drive, or mapped network drive?
Did you manually delete the Mr. Deeds file in this log as you described in the first post? Are you sure you waited for the archive operation to complete before you deleted the file from C: drive? The actual file move operation is done in the background, so until the operation completes the file will be in both places, and deleting the source file will cancel the file move likely without NextPVR knowing about it.
That's true - during the move, the file will be in two places. With local hard drives it'd usually be pretty quick, but if it's a big file, or slow drive, it could take a while.
F:\ is a local drive.

Initially I archived a different file (The Lucky One, if you can find that in the logs somewhere) to the same F:\ drive, then went into the Recordings screen in NPVR and deleted from there. That's when it disappeared from both the C and F drives at the same time - perhaps at that time it hadn't finished copying?

For the Mr Deeds file, I initiated the archive function at 2.30pm yesterday, as per the logs. But it was still present on both drives at 8:30pm, when I posted into this forum.

In terms of deleting the file from the C: drive, my assumption is that I should use the Recordings screen for this, or do I need to delete from the folder directly in Windows Explorer?
Since NPVR 'moves' the file to the archive, you shouldn't need to delete it from the original location - maybe check windows eventvwr around about the time you requested the archive event - see if there are any disk errors...

Alex
mattyb Wrote:F:\ is a local drive.

Initially I archived a different file (The Lucky One, if you can find that in the logs somewhere) to the same F:\ drive, then went into the Recordings screen in NPVR and deleted from there. That's when it disappeared from both the C and F drives at the same time - perhaps at that time it hadn't finished copying?
My guess it had completed, and the file had been moved from C:\ to F:\, which meant it was no longer on C:\ (you might had to pressed F5 to refresh), and when you deleted, it deleted the only copy (in F:\). If you looked on disk just before that, and saw the file in both locations, that was probably while Windows was still moving it. (and when it completed soon after, it would have disappeared from C:\)

Quote:In terms of deleting the file from the C: drive, my assumption is that I should use the Recordings screen for this, or do I need to delete from the folder directly in Windows Explorer?
You should not have to delete from anywhere if you're just want to archive (move) the file from one location to another. When you delete a recording, the application look up where the database says the file is, and will delete the file, and then delete the recording entry out of the database.
Pages: 1 2