NextPVR Forums

Full Version: IPTV Catch Up Content
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Sub,

I know you've done a fair bit of experimentation with Ace IPTV. Have you looked at all at accessing the Catch Up content that they offer?
Personally I've found recording IPTV channels to be quite unreliable, so the catch up content may offer a better way of getting shows that I can't watch live.

If you haven't looked at it - unfortunately the catch up content isn't listed in the M3U I can download - but from looking at what Kodi does when accessing this content I can see that for the supported channels, you can just use a URL that specifies the stream number, date and time, and duration, and you get a stream of that content. Perhaps it would be possible to access this using the OnDemand function - even if it means I need to create a correctly formatted M3U myself?

I can download this content using a browser, or save it with VLC as a .ts and it plays ok. However, trying to watch the files in NPVR hasn't worked for me. If I play the file via the Videos option in NPVR it plays, but the duration shows as 1 second and I can't navigate. (But if I understand correctly this method uses DirectShow rather than NPVR's .ts reader?)

I also tried setting one or the stream URLs as an IPTV channel as a test, and I can't play or record from this IPTV channel in NPVR.
JP23 Wrote:Hi Sub,

I know you've done a fair bit of experimentation with Ace IPTV. Have you looked at all at accessing the Catch Up content that they offer?
Personally I've found recording IPTV channels to be quite unreliable, so the catch up content may offer a better way of getting shows that I can't watch live.

If you haven't looked at it - unfortunately the catch up content isn't listed in the M3U I can download - but from looking at what Kodi does when accessing this content I can see that for the supported channels, you can just use a URL that specifies the stream number, date and time, and duration, and you get a stream of that content. Perhaps it would be possible to access this using the OnDemand function - even if it means I need to create a correctly formatted M3U myself?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean

Are you talking about content different from that already shown in the OnDemand screen?

Quote:I can download this content using a browser, or save it with VLC as a .ts and it plays ok. However, trying to watch the files in NPVR hasn't worked for me. If I play the file via the Videos option in NPVR it plays, but the duration shows as 1 second and I can't navigate. (But if I understand correctly this method uses DirectShow rather than NPVR's .ts reader?)

I also tried setting one or the stream URLs as an IPTV channel as a test, and I can't play or record from this IPTV channel in NPVR.
If you want to PM me a URL that isn't working, I'm happy to check it out.
sub Wrote:I'm not sure exactly what you mean

I don't actually have any VOD content with my sub, but if you have the Ace Kodi app, there's a section called TV Catch Up, in which you select a channel, and then select a show that's already aired and it gets streamed to you. (It doesn't cover every channel offered by any means.)

None of this is listed in the M3U that I can download listing my channels etc, and as I understand it, this would be where VOD content would need to be listed to get added to the OnDemand screen.

The address for a TV catch up stream looks like this:
Code:
http://ace-tv.xyz:25461/streaming/timeshift.php?username=xxxxxx&password=xxxxxx&stream=360&duration=30&start=2018-01-16:22-35
where 360 is the channel number.

You may be able to access such a stream with your own credentials if you have some?
If not I can PM you a link to use.
Ah right. I guess they keep a week or so of listings. In reality I could probably build something for that, but it's very specific to Ace, so I probably wouldn't bother. It's the coming up with a sensible UI that is the most difficult part. Never say never though, so maybe.
Is there any way I can get that into the OnDemand screen if I generate a correctly formatted M3U myself?
Were you able to get any streams to play?
JP23 Wrote:Were you able to get any streams to play?
I just tried, and yes it played. I tried by live tv and recording (then playing the recording). It seemed to be stopping and starting a bit, but it was the same in VLC, so can only assume server side issues for that stream, or that time.

I added the channel by going into the Settings->Devices, double click IPTV, hit Add, pasted in the URL, and made sure I selected "H.264 TS". 'Import' would instead use the equivalent of Add with "Internet Sourced IPTV", which wouldn't work right for this stream.
Thanks, I only tried it as 'Internet Source IPTV'.

For normal channels with Ace, do you recommend H.264-TS rather than Internet Source IPTV?
JP23 Wrote:For normal channels with Ace, do you recommend H.264-TS rather than Internet Source IPTV?
Usually you'd be able to do an Import from their m3u, which behind the scenes will add each channel as Internet Source IPTV. With that specific timeshift.php url though, you'd need to use H.264-TS.
Thanks, that's looks to be working pretty well now.

Have you had much success recording from Ace?
I've found it to be hit and miss - some recordings are ok, but they often fall over part way through, and the timeline is often a mess.
JP23 Wrote:Have you had much success recording from Ace?
I've found it to be hit and miss - some recordings are ok, but they often fall over part way through, and the timeline is often a mess.
I've never spent much time experimenting with Ace, but I have done a few hour-long recordings using their service successfully.