NextPVR Forums

Full Version: No Local TV listings from new format in both Zap2it and TV Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Deleted this post and opened new post with Log files attached. Couldn't find a Delete Message icon.
Everything was working great until Zap2it changed to the new style of TV listings. I downloaded the new Zap2xml and after several tries got that working. Except it would just download National listings no local tv listings. So I have the same National Program listing listed on, as an example, channels 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3. Instead of the local listings for the Sub-Channels. Plus all Local TV listings are listed as "Local Programming". Seems like Zap2it and TV GUIDE are run by the same company since they both updated their TV Listing format at the same time.

Okay, I changed from Zap2it to TV Guide and deleted the Zap2xml and UpdateEPG.bat and Cache Folder from the Scripts folder. Instead I downloaded a program called EPG-BUDDY. It is very good and a easier program with its own built in EPG grabber. Once you figure out how to use it the first time it is very easy. The Cache folder is located at the EPG-BUDDY installation folder in Programs Files (x86) in the Root Directory. This program was made to be compatible with MediaPorter. But works great with NextPVR. But unfortunately, it also keeps only grabbing the National Listings and not the Local TV listings and Sub-Channels. Forgot to mention, that by a click of a button, you will automatically create a Task in Windows to run your EPG Grabber every day. With Zap2xml I needed to manually create a Task in Windows.

Today I just wrote a email to TV Guide support to find out if they will start showing Local TV Listings instead of only National Listings. Or If I am missing something.

I know that when I run the internal EPG Grabber of EPG-BUDDY it seems to be downloading more than a thousand programs for a two week period. So, I presume, it is downloading local TV listings also. I might be wrong on that thou.

I all want to know if this is a NPVR software problem or Zap2it/TV GUIDE website problem? [B][/B]
You'd probably need to supply your xmltv file, so we can see what is in it.

It's unlikely to be a problem in NextPVR, because we have no known issues around reading listings from xmltv files. If I had to guess, either your zap2ml / EPG-BUDDY utility aren't downloading these local listings, or you the channel identifiers in your xmltv file changed and you need to remap these channels. (ie go to the Settings->Channels screen, double click on a channel, and make sure the "Mapping" is set to the correct channel in your xmltv file...then after making changes, click the 'Update EPG' button)
It is downloading the National listings correctly just not the local listings which don't show up in either Zap2it or TV Guide websites.

After installing EPG-BUDDY and switching to TV Guide I needed to remap all my channels again. The only channels I couldn't remap was TBN which wasn't listed in the remapping menu.

I guess I need to wait to see what TV Guide support says if they should reply. I do see the local channels from the website ONTV. Let me see if I can program EPG-BUDDY to download from that website. But I don't believe I can. Thanks for the reply.
went back to DVB/ATSC EPG to be able to get local channels. Unfortunately, I am only able to get some local channel on the first day of 14 days setup.
elstaci Wrote:went back to DVB/ATSC EPG to be able to get local channels. Unfortunately, I am only able to get some local channel on the first day of 14 days setup.
Yeah 'DVB/ATSC EPG' is next to useless in USA, where there typically only give you 6 hours or so of listings. Schedules Direct is the best option for any US based users.
elstaci Wrote:went back to DVB/ATSC EPG to be able to get local channels. Unfortunately, I am only able to get some local channel on the first day of 14 days setup.

I recently switched to tvguide becasue of the issues with zap2it. If you log in and click "what's on" then "tv listings" click "customize your listings" you should be able to pick a service in your area that shows local listings. I used to have a separate OTA list and Cable List, but the new format doesn't support that, so now i just use the cable list and map my OTA channels to the corresponding cable channel.
sub Wrote:Yeah 'DVB/ATSC EPG' is next to useless in USA, where there typically only give you 6 hours or so of listings. Schedules Direct is the best option for any US based users.

I agree, but unfortunately, Schedules Direct is a paid subscription. I am on a tight budget and can't really afford to pay a monthly fee. So, I need to download from websites that offer TV listings for free.

By any chance, can you list all the EPG Grabbers that can be used to download EPG data from various TV Websites?

OnTV shows all National and Local TV Listings including Sub-Channels but I can't locate a EPG Grabber for that Website.

TV.com I am able to download but, like TV Guide and Zap2it, it only downloads the National TV Listings.

Update: Received an email from ONTVTONIGHT and they say its against their policy to use a grabber to download TV listings.
I'm not in the US, so don't have any first hand experience with it myself, but the only common xmltv grabber I'm aware of in that part of the world is zap2xml. There used to be a couple of other xmltv grabbers in the past, but these no longer work. I know a quite a few people use zap2xml, and never seen anyone claim it doesn't get local listings.

In general though, if you spend several hours, a couple of times a year, trying to keep your xmltv grabber working correctly, finding the relatively cheap Schedules Direct fee is definitely a better bet. Sure, I understand someone might not be able to afford it, but for those that can, it's definitely the best EPG option in North America. It's only $25 a year.
sub Wrote:Yeah 'DVB/ATSC EPG' is next to useless in USA, where there typically only give you 6 hours or so of listings. Schedules Direct is the best option for any US based users.

Is there any way of changing the Maximum amount of minutes to download from DVB/ATSC in NPVR Setup Misc 2 category to more than 300 minutes (6 Hours)? Is there an .INI file that I can change to maximum to say 10080 minutes (one week) of programming? or that determined by the DVB/ATSC site.
Pages: 1 2