NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Cd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum, if not I apologize.

Is it possible to "rip" or copy DVDs to a PC hard drive like audio CDs for later viewin. Is it possible to view the DVDs from within NPVR just like a show I had recorded off the antenna.

If this is possible what software (preferably freeware) is the best to use to do so. I would like to have them organized in the following manner:
[INDENT]> DVDs[/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]> Movies[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]> Genre[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]> Name of Movie[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT]>TV[/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]> Genre[/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]> Name of TV Show[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]> Season X[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

Thank You
Yes, it's possible to rip DVDs and store them in the format of your choice for playback in NPVR using the built-in videos plugin. Go into settings to tell the plugin which folders to browse.

As this is not a feature built into NextPVR, your best bet is to google for DVD ripper free but tread carefully as ripping a DVD requires the software to have a key to decrypt the disk. A legit key, requires the software company to pay a license.
Some apps are legit, some are just click-bait and should be avoided or say they rip DVD but don't rip copy-protected DVD (i.e. commercial ones). If you want to rip of DVD full of TV shows into individual episodes, check the software has that capability.

I'd read this: http://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-free-dvd-ripper (note how there's a "but" for each app).

For completeness, you can also rip the entire DVD to an ISO file and then configure NextPVR to use some third party program to auto-mount the ISO file so that NextPVR then plays it just like playing the entire DVD, complete with ads and menus. I've not used this feature myself for many years, nor aware of whether others use it or what third party apps they might use. The other disadvantage of this is that the ISO is going to be 4.7GB, same as the DVD whereas if you rip the individual shows to H265, you can save a chunk of disk space.
gEd Wrote:if you rip the individual shows to H265, you can save a chunk of disk space.

Most people are probably better ripping off to h264 mp4 especially since DVD files aren't HD.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Most people are probably better ripping off to h264 mp4 especially since DVD files aren't HD.

Martin

You're right as always. I actually meant H264, that was (I presume) a subliminal typo as I've been playing with H265 encoding recently using my "big rig". It's very good.