NextPVR Forums

Full Version: video freezes and jerks on channel change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Installed NextPVR on a sff HP with a core 2duo and after a little playing around it's rock solid. Thought it would be better in the roomier case of the HP tower i5 3470, so I installed there. Both machines use identical Hauppauge usb dual tuner devices. On the tower NPVR jerks and freezes when I change the channel. Sometimes it catches up quickly and sometimes not. Worst on hd channels. I've only recorded one show and NPVR plays it, but if I try to skip forward I run into the same freeze and jerk issue, so I'm assuming the conflict is not really with the tuners. Wintv plays the recording without issue. I'm using Nvidia Geforce 710 cards in both machines and they're configured the same. Not the newest driver, but same driver in both machines. I think I uploaded the zipfile. Sorry there's no method to the usage, but I've just been trying things and starting and shutting it down.
If you do a recording and play that recording, in both NextPVR and another player like VLC, does it show video freezes and jerks etc?
First, in my desire to be as brief as possible (I tend to be long winded) I forgot the first rule my mother taught me. So, thanks so much for this great program. On the sff pc it perfectly emulates watching tv, wmc remote and all. It's 1970 again, with better reception. It's allowing me to cut the cord.

The recording I have is sd cbs sub channel Heroes. VLC plays it flashing rapidly back and forth to green screen. Wintv software plays it without the issues mentioned, but my perception is that it's not quite as smooth as original play. Recorded Jeopardy on NBC and it jerks and freezes in NPVR. VLC has no problem playing it.
Paula Wrote:Recorded Jeopardy on NBC and it jerks and freezes in NPVR. VLC has no problem playing it.
Can you supply a short sample recording? You'd need to put it somewhere like Dropbox or OneDrive, and let me know the download link
Yeah, in the morning I can try to get that done. Never used any cloud stuff, so I'll have to setup a dropbox acct and get up to snuff on using it. I'll try to get a small sd and hd clip. The program crashes sometimes if I push it too hard. Not good with the info in event viewer but the faulting module has varied from ntdll.dll to clr.dll to vcruntime140.dll. Don't know if any of those point at the graphics card or net framework or visual c or such. Tonight my roommate, 13 yr old german shepherd is very ill and I think she wants to leave, so I'll get back to this first thing in the morning. Thanks for sticking with it.
If you create a c:\temp directory, you should get a c:\temp\crash.mdmp if it crashes, which would help me determine the cause.

By "push it too hard" what do you mean - what are you doing? I can be recording 16+ channels simultaneously without issue here.
Push too hard means try to skip back and forth quickly in a recording or after pausing live for awhile. Created c:\temp but, of course, couldn't get it to crash to save my life. I did get dropbox and am uploading the files. Will be awhile with my 6Mb down .75 up speed (highest available to me). I don't think there's a problem with NPVR. I think it's somewhere in windows or the Nvidia card, so thanks for looking into it. I'll send you a link in a few hours when the files finally get to the North Pole.
Here's the link to the files. High Chaparral is sd, Ryan and Kelly is hd. I sent an hd buffer clip also. I hope it tells you something. Meanwhile I'll be recording a favorite old movie on the other pc. Thanks for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ewo9fby9pjijs...sdaMa?dl=0
If you take that recording, and play it on the other pc, does it play ok there, or same problems?
I just watched the Ryan and Kelly clip, and it played nice and smoothly in NextPVR for me, which tells us your capture side is fine. It sounds like it's something playback related on that machine.
Pages: 1 2