NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Intermittent recording failure
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I've been using NextPVR for several years, mainly to record broadcast radio programmes (UK). I don't use any other front end (eg Kodi).

Over the last few months I've had increasing numbers of "Failed" scheduled recordings. Browsing the forum I realised that I needed to "start NPVR service", and this seemed to solve the problem for a while. However in the last few days most of my recordings have failed. This is despite "starting service" and "stopping service" several times. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled NextPVR (same version).

I don't get any error messages, either when starting service or at any other time. The only time I know that the recording has failed is when it says so under "Recordings".

If I use the "Quick Record" facility it records fine. Its scheduled recordings that's the problem.

As requested, I'm attaching the zip file containing the NextPVR data and would be grateful for your advice.

Many thanks
Juliaa Wrote:As requested, I'm attaching the zip file containing the NextPVR data and would be grateful for your advice.

I can't see an error in those logs. It might be that the logs showing the error were lost when you re-installed.

Pleasee schedule some recordings and then post again (attaching new logs) telling us the time of recordings that fail so that we know where to look in the logs. Thanks.
You'll need to let use know the name and time of a failed recording.
Hi, and thanks for this. So far today the recordings have worked (this happened before when I first reinstalled NextPVR, but then the failures started again). I'll see what happens over the next few days and if/when I get another failure I'll send the log files through.
Remember to send all the logs next time.

Martin
Hi, recordings have stopped again. I'm attaching the log file, and also screenshots showing times etc of failed recordings. I did restart PVR service on 27th (after I realised first failure had occurred), but as you see it didn't work. Also I think the Inside Science recording was a quick recording, but that failed too.
Grateful for your advice
Problems appear to begin at the entry in ndigitalhost-21.log ...

Quote:2018-09-27 21:30:00.625 [ERROR][101] Unexpected error building digital graph: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException (0x80004005): External component has thrown an exception.

But I have no real clue what that is telling us (though I suspect a hardware problem in the tuner). I expect that someone with skills will be alone soon to tell you all about it.
Hi, and thanks for this. Does anyone know what the problem is?
Ugh, that's not a fun one to troubleshoot. 80004005 is an Access Denied / Access Exception error and it's happening on a COM interop invokation. Basically the COM library that's being called is external from NPVR and it's reporting an access issue.

One thing that does come to mind is that the NPVR recording service runs under the system account while the actual client software you interact with runs under the user account. I doubt there's anything odd here because I would guess that quick recordings and scheduled recordings both are processed by the service.

Do you have any anti-virus / internet safety software installed? Another possibility is that your anti-virus software is locking a file that NPVR is trying to access or write and that's where the access exception is bubbling up from. If you do have anti-virus installed, try disabling it and letting a few scheduled recordings take their course. If it works, great! Then you just need to add the folders that NPVR uses for its database and recorded video storage to the exception list and you should be fixed. If it doesn't, then it'll take a bit more digging to figure out what's causing the access exception error.
The base of the problems is this message

No BDA capture filter for this device

Try reinstalling your card driver and making sure it works with the software that came with it.

Another thing I see is you do EPG updates while recording that is not supported.

Martin