NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR Refuses to record football games that start at the same time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello,

I've been experiencing a problem for a few weeks, and I just updated to 4.2.2 (180623) and the problem persists, so I figured I'd post here.

I want NextPVR to record every NFL Football game that airs on every channel. I set up a recurring recording to do that, but when two NFL Football games start at the same time, NextPVR will only record one of them!

Two games are airing at the same time right now. The Packers vs. Washington and the Bills vs. Vikings starting at noon CDT today. Despite my recurring recording that should grab all episodes on all channels, NextPVR is going to record the Bills vs. Vikings game, but it'll skip the Packers game. I've deleted and recreated the recording by selecting the Packers game in the tv guide and starting a recurring recording from there, but NextPVR decides to record the Bills game instead, perhaps because it's on a lower-number channel.

I looked at the pending recordings list, and it seems that it will record a game that starts at 3pm and another one that starts at 3:25pm the same day just fine. It only seems to be skipping one when they both start at the same instant. I've thought, maybe since there is only one recurring recording job set up, it'll just record one at a time. I've tried making two recurring recordings for "NFL Football" games, but then I would get two copies of most games.

I've attached my logs, I feel like I'm missing something obvious here and any advice is much appreciated!
Thank you,
-guyinco6nito
I'm trying to interpret exactly what your post is saying - so it sounds like you're saying you can't schedule two games at the same start time, rather than it's scheduling ok but failing to record.

I can't see the actual scheduling happen in the logs, so will probably need you to restart NextPVR (to reset the npvr.log), then attempt schedule two football games, then zip and attach your logs, along with the time you tried to schedule these shows so I know exactly where to look in the logs.
Hello,

Sorry I worded the request poorly. It boils down to the question: If I ask NextPVR to record all episodes of "NFL Football" on all channels, should it record the noon game on Fox as well as the noon game on NBC?

If so, how can I figure out why NextPVR is recording the noon game on NBC and skipping the noon game on Fox.
I'll get you those logs shortly!

Thank you much, not just for the assistance, but for making the best DVR I've ever used!
-guyinco6nito
guyinco6nito Wrote:If I ask NextPVR to record all episodes of "NFL Football" on all channels, should it record the noon game on Fox as well as the noon game on NBC?
Yes, sure - assuming you have an available tuner, and your guide data doesn't say it's a duplicate of a show you've already recorded recently (either still on disk, or recently deleted)
Hello,

I've got the updated logs! Here's what I did starting around 1:40 local time:
-Delete the recurring recording for NFL Football
-Restart Recording service
-Went into TV Guide and started a recording for NFL Football on 47.1 Fox.
-Set the Recording Type to "Record all episodes, all channels"
-Set the post padding to 80 minutes (for overtime)
-When I clicked Ok it created a recurring job!

It didn't actually start recording the game that is half over, but I expected that, so I manually started recording the game on 47.1 Fox with a non-recurring job.

I suppose this test won't work because NextPVR doesn't start recording shows that are half over, and there aren't two noon games next week. I might need to wait until there are two noon games on different channels to diagnose this one further?

Thanks anyway,
-guyinco6nito
Yeah a recurring recording wouldn't pick up a show that is part way through, so that's not a great test.

If you skip forward in the guide to next week, and press Ctrl-K (record) on two NFL games that start at the same time, do they both go red and show up in the Pending list?
I'm not aware of any bugs in the application that could account for what you're describing, so I'm pretty sure there is a good reason why it's happening. ie, either you've recently recorded that same game so it doesn't want to record the replay, or you don't have enough tuners available so it results in a conflict.
If the shows are the exact same name, e.g., "NFL Football", but are on different channels, does NPVR know the difference?
Well, I've checked the next two weeks up to October 7th, no two NFL games start at the same time in my region. I can't find a future occurrence of two games starting exactly at noon! However, I am certain that both last week and this week multiple games started at noon and only one of them recorded (and both times it wasn't the Packers, otherwise I wouldn't have even cared).

I was checking the TV guide earlier today, and only the Bills Vikings game went red and showed up in the Pending list. I had only two options that allowed me to record the Packers game:
-Set up 2nd recurring record job (all episodes on all channels). That option had the Packers game appear as red in the guide and showed up in the pending list, but recorded duplicates of every other game
-Set up a manual non-recurring record job for the Packers game. That's what I ended up doing.

In response to your suggestions, the Packers game from last week was manually recorded and was still in my recording folder, but they played different teams so I figure the episode title must be different. I looked through npvr.db3 with a text editor and it seems like the episode titles include the names of the teams playing. Also I have four tuners and nothing else was recording, and since the manual non-recurring record job worked, I know the system is capable of recording both games at the same time.

Aside from trying to set my clock back to recreate these conditions for a test, I'm not sure how to investigate this further, but I'm open to any ideas.
Thanks, and have good ones!
-guyinco6nito
mikeh49 Wrote:If the shows are the exact same name, e.g., "NFL Football", but are on different channels, does NPVR know the difference?
It doesn't depend on the name. NextPVR will assume all episodes of "NFL Football" are different unless the guide data has unique show identifiers which explicitly says two airings are the same.
Pages: 1 2 3