NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Timeshift playback is choppy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My capture device is Hauppauge PVR 2, its content is displayed beautifully on NextPVR. However, pausing and then playing results in really hideous chopped display. Audio is fine. I have found settings for CODEC and display, but nothing for timeshift or recording. I will attempt to change the Decoding options, and continue to look for any Encoding options, which I can't find in Settings. Decoding Codecs and Encoding CODECs are the same? All Video Decoders (MPEG2, H.265, etc.) are currently set (from Setup install) as LAV Video Decoder. A Microsoft DTV Decoder is available as well, along with an ArcSoft Video Decoder. The Hauppauge WinTV 8 works very well for recording and pause buffer, not choppy at all, and its Settings have a "Enable 3rd Party Decoders" option unchecked, with a greyed out "ArcSoft Video Decoder chosen for H.264. If WinTV 8 is using some other Codec (as the 3rd party Codecs is unchecked), I don't see what that might be. Thanks for any guidance finding or choosing whatever Codec or setting may be required to have the NextPVR timeshift and general Record display a clear picture. Cheers!
Nothing really springs to mind, other than something decoder related.

Is live tv fine until you've paused?

If you play a recording, does it show the same problem?
sub Wrote:Nothing really springs to mind, other than something decoder related.

Is live tv fine until you've paused?

If you play a recording, does it show the same problem?

Thanks, Admin. I attempted a detailed reply, but I think I may have taken too long to chronicle my research, as the reply appears to have disappeared.

I lieu of attempting to detail my initial reply, I'll brief the highlights. Choppy time-shift playback from Hauppauge PVR 2, empty Video files folders, inability to find a way to Record on demand, a successful timed recording with no actual video file as a result of said recording due to the empty Video file folder, inability to see what is being recorded, inability to determine what CODECs are being used for Encoding a recording, inability to assign hardware acceleration or encoding. Intel's Quick Video Sync AVC and HEVC encoding appear out of reach.

I'm sure my unfamiliarity with NPVR is the culprit, as is my unfamiliarity with your forum's reply rules responsible for losing my initial replay.

My install of NPVR was part of a search for other time-shift software that might improve upon Hauppauge's WinTV 8, which could use smoother Rewind and Fast Forward functionality. In all other respects it is frankly superb, at least on my system.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers!
JoeTalker Wrote:I lieu of attempting to detail my initial reply, I'll brief the highlights. Choppy time-shift playback from Hauppauge PVR 2, empty Video files folders, inability to find a way to Record on demand, a successful timed recording with no actual video file as a result of said recording due to the empty Video file folder, inability to see what is being recorded, inability to determine what CODECs are being used for Encoding a recording, inability to assign hardware acceleration or encoding. Intel's Quick Video Sync AVC and HEVC encoding appear out of reach.
The encoding is done in hardware by the HDPVR2, which is why you're not able to find encoding settings, and things like QuickSync etc are not relevant. You'd probably need to break that reply down to something more detailed for me to comment more on those bullet points.

FYI, I was also the author of Hauppauge WinTV 7/8 software back when I worked at Hauppauge, so I know that capture and live tv are behaving in largely the same way between the two apps. There is some minor differences in how playback side of live tv is done in NextPVR, but you'd probably need to answer my earlier questions for me to be able to narrow down the cause more.
JoeTalker Wrote:... empty Video files folders, inability to find a way to Record on demand, a successful timed recording with no actual video file as a result of said recording due to the empty Video file folder, inability to see what is being recorded,

For the avoidance of doubt ... recording files are created in the folder specified in Settings ... Recording ... the Videos folder specified in Media Folders is for video files from other sources such as DVD rips