NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR Creating a Ton of Processes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

My Environment:

-nPVR is installed and running on Windows Home Server 2011 (basically windows 7)
-Tuner HDHomeRun Quadro
-Two client machines via Kodi on Windows 10.

Problem:

About once everyday. Seems to be sometime during the day or early morning hours the NextPVR.exe processes stack up (see attached screen shot) and never end. Eventually my ram fills up (8gb) and the machine is brought to its knees. I can resolve the issue by stopping the nPVR service and starting it again.

Any ideas?

Logs attached. I had to put the "web" logs in a separate file because they were too big.

Thanks!
You could get more info by clicking on View, Select columns and enabling "Command line"
What have you put in your C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\UpdateEPG.bat? I'm guessing you're running "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" (which is runs "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" which runs "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" which runs "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" etc). You don't want to be doing that...
Quote:[...startup]
2019-01-03 02:10:48.617 [DEBUG][1] -updateepgonly
2019-01-03 02:10:48.633 [DEBUG][1] About to look for plugin directories in: C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Plugins\
2019-01-03 02:10:48.633 [DEBUG][1] Skipping non-existant plugin directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\NPVR\Plugins\
2019-01-03 02:10:48.633 [INFO][1] About to connect to remote recording service
2019-01-03 02:10:48.648 [DEBUG][1] RecordingServiceProxy@exit
2019-01-03 02:10:48.726 [DEBUG][1] Updating EPG...
2019-01-03 02:10:48.726 [DEBUG][1] UpdateEPG@1
2019-01-03 02:10:48.726 [DEBUG][1] About to run C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts\UpdateEPG.bat
Ah! Ha!

Indeed I have, "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly"

Should this be just, "-updateepgonly"?

Thanks
Time to visit the Wiki Wink
https://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php...ration.EPG
https://www.nextpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php...n.XMLTVEPG

It should only exist if you need external EPG like xmltv.
You shouldn't be running nextpvr.exe.

UpdateEPG.bat is a batch file you can optionally create if you want to run some steps before NextPVR updates it's EPG. A typical thing you might do in there is run some utility to download xmltv listings, like zap2xml.exe or similar. There is no reason that batch file should be running NextPVR.exe. ie, it's already in the process of updating the EPG - you don't need to tell it to update the EPG.
sub Wrote:You shouldn't be running nextpvr.exe.

UpdateEPG.bat is a batch file you can optionally create if you want to run some steps before NextPVR updates it's EPG. A typical thing you might do in there is run some utility to download xmltv listings, like zap2xml.exe or similar. There is no reason that batch file should be running NextPVR.exe. ie, it's already in the process of updating the EPG - you don't need to tell it to update the EPG.

It was my understanding that you can only get NextPVR to update the EPG data once per day unless you use this batch file. I need the EPG data to be updated twice a day which is why I was using the batch file. If I recall I actually found the instructions from you somewhere on the forums (unless it was someone with the same avatar).

Am I missing something?

Thanks again!
Quote:It was my understanding that you can only get NextPVR to update the EPG data once per day unless you use this batch file.
That last bit is incorrect.

It's true the automated EPG updated only happens once per day. If you want, you can use the Windows scheduler to run "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" if you need it to run at other times. (nothing to do with UpdateEPG.bat though)

Honestly though, if you're using the ATSC EPG, save yourself a big hassle, and just get a Schedules Direct account. It'll give you weeks of listings at time, and have good extra info you don't get from the broadcast EPG, like season/episode numbers, artwork, unique show identifiers (so that you can avoid recording duplicates etc).
sub Wrote:That last bit is incorrect.

It's true the automated EPG updated only happens once per day. If you want, you can use the Windows scheduler to run "nextpvr.exe -updateepgonly" if you need it to run at other times. (nothing to do with UpdateEPG.bat though)

Honestly though, if you're using the ATSC EPG, save yourself a big hassle, and just get a Schedules Direct account. It'll give you weeks of listings at time, and have good extra info you don't get from the broadcast EPG, like season/episode numbers, artwork, unique show identifiers (so that you can avoid recording duplicates etc).

I see, that makes sense and seems so obvious now. Thanks for the suggestion on Schedules Direct. I'm considering it but I'm a total cheap skate.

I really appreciate the unbelievably fast attention to my issue.

Cheers!
No worries.

Schedules Direct is pretty cheap, and you'll definitely spend more than that in angst trying to live with the ATSC EPG - very basic data, not being able to look up tomorrow or the rest of the week in the TV Guide, and having the occasional recording fail because the tuner was already in use for updating the EPG.