NextPVR Forums

Full Version: X-NEWA End of Life
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Because of changes in Kodi v19 (Python 3) and NextPVR v5 (no more NEWA) x-newa 2.5.4 is the final release for v4 NextPVR and Kodi v16-v18. The good news is I have successfully ported x-newa to Python3 and it working pretty well on Kodi v18 (python 2 and 3) using the compatibility tools that Kodi thankfully provides.

The bad news is I am not going to test this version for release alone especially now that I use the Kodi addon more with v5 testing it is hard to catch some of the less frequent errors. The initial port involved removing 1000's of lines of code, removing several obsolete libraries, dead code and changing significant number of lines of code. The original codebase https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...R-FrontEnd was from GBPVR and EWA days with XBMC and lots has changed since I updated that in 2012. Going for the python utf-8 model to unicode has been an issue in some places so that is the biggest trouble spot I foresee.

If anyone is interested in seriously testing the next generation plugin, knew4v5 - called "New for v5" aka "canoe" or "new client" post here. (I wanted to get rid of the x- for years now) My preference is that testers start using it full time to trap error.s If there is enough interest I will update the repo so people can get automatic updates. I am hoping to find testers for v17 and maybe v16 too (SPMC users maybe)

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:If anyone is interested in seriously testing the next generation plugin, knew4v5 - called "New for v5" aka "canoe" or "new client" post here. (I wanted to get rid of the x- for years now) My preference is that testers start using it full time to trap error.s If there is enough interest I will update the repo so people can get automatic updates. I am hoping to find testers for v17 and maybe v16 too (SPMC users maybe)

So, to make sure I'm clear... You're looking for people to test the "new client" in kodi v18 against NPVR 4? If so, count me in. I use that setup daily. :-)
Yes thanks Brett, yes I want users to test the install, test the addon, and hopefully use it full time after any issues are corrected, to make sure it is ready for full release. I am hoping people still on Jarvis and Krypton also test to make sure the python3 tools are working ok.

Do you use the repo for install? I prefer this so I can get patches out quickly. x-newa won't be overwritten so there is always a fall back.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:Yes thanks Brett, yes I want users to test the install, test the addon, and hopefully use it full time after any issues are corrected, to make sure it is ready for full release. I am hoping people still on Jarvis and Krypton also test to make sure the python3 tools are working ok.

Do you use the repo for install? I prefer this so I can get patches out quickly. x-newa won't be overwritten so there is always a fall back.

Yep. I use the repo. Right now all of my Pis have been upgraded to Leia. But if it would be helpful just to have another tester, I could setup one on an older version to at least test the install and some basic functionality.
Great I will update the repo this afternoon with what I have. Certainly v17 testing will be very useful, since I know many people are reluctant to upgrade quickly.

It will also help that the the RPi is on linux all my testing to date is Windows, except brief testing v5 on MacOS and Ubuntu with their v18 Kodi clients. There are no actual NextPVR clients for v5 yet which is why new client testing is so important.

Martin
As a non-guru, I am hoping that the wizards-at-large will please post how to migrate to the x-newa replacement with a step-by-step procedure. I use x-newa on my android devices and I am currently at NextPVR 4.2.4. I rarely, if ever, use Kodi.

Thanks.
x-newa is Kodi.

Martin
Oh. I think. So when x-newa is discontinued, I'll need to install Kodi on my android devices?
No x-newa is a Kodi addon so you must already have Kodi installed. When V5 NextPVR is out and or you want to use Kodi v19 x-newa will fail so you will need the new client.

Martin
OK. In summary...x-newa is being replaced by knew4v5, which are both Kodi add-ons, with knew4v5 compatible with NextPVR V5. Yes?

Thanks for your patience.
Pages: 1 2 3 4