NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Black Side Bars on some 16:9 TV channels here in Australia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having problem with some TV channel not displaying correctly in there full 16:9 aspect ratio here in Sydney Australia. They have black bars down each side so its more like 15:9 aspect.

Channels in question are 9Life, 9GO!, SpreeTV, 7Flix, 7food network and openshop on 7 network. All other channel from what I can tell seem to display correctly in the full screen 16:9 aspect with no black side bars. As do these channels on a regular TV. Just not when watching on PC using NextPVR software.

PC Setup:
TV tuner is Sony PlayTV,
Software is NextPVR (latest version)
OS is Windows 10 Pro.

I've also delete all channels and rescanned but that did not fix the problem. Anybody else experiencing this or have any ideas on what is causing the problem?
Are you able to supply a short sample recording? Put it somewhere like dropbox or onedrive, and let me know the download link.
sub Wrote:Are you able to supply a short sample recording? Put it somewhere like dropbox or onedrive, and let me know the download link.

Here are some captures and live video sample of the problem stations. Download link on Google drive. Just click the download button at the top of the page to save to your pc.

Let me know if you have any problems.
So this is using the device as DVB tuner right?

These recordings have small black bars at the left and right as part of the picture. NextPVR won't be adding these, they'll be part of the original DVB broadcast. When it comes to DVB, NextPVR just captures an exact copy of whatever the broadcaster sends. (it'd actually take a lot of work for me to add code for adding black bars Big Grin)

Usually when you watch on an actual TV, there is a little bit of overscan, so the edges of the video are off the screen, which is probably why you don't notice them on your TV.
sub Wrote:So this is using the device as DVB tuner right?

Correct.

Quote:These recordings have small black bars at the left and right as part of the picture. NextPVR won't be adding these, they'll be part of the original DVB broadcast. When it comes to DVB, NextPVR just captures an exact copy of whatever the broadcaster sends. (it'd actually take a lot of work for me to add code for adding black bars Big Grin)

Usually when you watch on an actual TV, there is a little bit of overscan, so the edges of the video are off the screen, which is probably why you don't notice them on your TV.

Seems strange that it only happens on a few channels for different networks and not every channel. Is there an option in NextPVR to adjust the overscan to eliminate this?
Yeah, it's pretty unusual for broadcaster to add bars like this these days.

If you press F7 a few times, hopefully you'll get to an aspect ratio called 'Zoom Fill'. That should do the job.