NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Is NextPVR right for me?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi I'm new and have a few questions. I'll try to be concise..

My wife has a HP laptop with Win 7. She's been using an old usb Avermedia Volar Max along with Media Center for a long time (US ATSC). Times are changing and I've convinced her to let me replace Win with Mint Cinnamon. I've been using Mint for almost 2 yrs myself and so I'll be doing a complete wipe and installing Tina.

Can't use the Volar Max so I've ordered WinTV-dualHD 1595 from Amazon. This looks to be the safest bet for working.

As far as I'm reading I could either use either 4.15 default kernel and just have one working tuner, grab 5.0 if I want to use both, or use the ppa and let Hauppage take care of it, correct?

Now it (looks) to me that NextPVR is about the most sensible solution for software but I don't know. Certainly not going to shell money for Plex pass and mythtv is pretty hard to set up (I've read). She doesn't need a ton of features, just the ability to play tv, and have a decent guide to set recording. I just wish this could stay fairly simple. I'm reading stuff about front end and back end, I more or less get the concept but could this 5.0 beta NextPVR be a total solution? If not, I'm all ears for anything else. If it's more complicated than this I guess I'll just have learn more.
NextPVR isn't a complete solution because for full time use you still need a client, so that will likely be Kodi.

The safest bet for dual tuners would have been the Silicon Dust HDHR.

Also it will depend on what else she uses here laptop for. If all she needs is the PVR, I'd maybe use Libreelec and not Mint with NextPVR running in docker although I am no sure what tuners work well in docker.

Martin
mvallevand Wrote:NextPVR isn't a complete solution because for full time use you still need a client, so that will likely be Kodi.

The safest bet for dual tuners would have been the Silicon Dust HDHR.

Also it will depend on what else she uses here laptop for. If all she needs is the PVR, I'd maybe use Libreelec and not Mint with NextPVR running in docker although I am no sure what tuners work well in docker.

Martin

Thanks for replying.. So, I would use Kodi and then need NextPVR as a plugin or add on? Or vise versa?

I wasn't necessarily seeking a dual tuner, but searches for compatibility for linux steered me toward Hauppage and we have no use for the analog part of the 955q so I went with WinTV-dualHD.

She uses her laptop as a common user would (mostly web) with the addition of some tv use. I'll stick with Mint Cinnamon because it looks familiar, I somewhat know it and she has no tech knowledge.
Iamnoob Wrote:Thanks for replying.. So, I would use Kodi and then need NextPVR as a plugin or add on?
Yes, you could use Kodi with the NextPVR addon.

On Linux the only UI that NextPVR provides is the web app, which is a fairly basic client, used for setup, and can be used for watching live tv and recordings, but since it requires transcoding to a format a web browser can view, it's not the ideal client. Personally I use an Apple TV with NextPVR TV app as a client, and a Linux server as the backend.

Quote:I wasn't necessarily seeking a dual tuner, but searches for compatibility for linux steered me toward Hauppage and we have no use for the analog part of the 955q so I went with WinTV-dualHD.
The WinTV-dualHD is a pretty decent device.
Thankyou sub.. I wonder what I should do.. I wish I could just use the Hauppauge WinTV v8 as just an app with WineHQ but it seems that's an impossibility because it needs to install and interface with Windows drivers.
WinTV 8 doesn't meet your requirement for recording or guide data though. You will find NextPVR setup and the device scan very easy but because NextPVR doesn't support OTA EPG in North America you are also going to want Schedules Direct.

Martin.
mvallevand Wrote:WinTV 8 doesn't meet your requirement for recording or guide data though. You will find NextPVR setup and the device scan very easy but because NextPVR doesn't support OTA EPG in North America you are also going to want Schedules Direct.

Martin.

Oh ok..

So.. is it like Kodi with NextpPVR with Schedules Direct?
sub Wrote:On Linux the only UI that NextPVR provides is the web app, which is a fairly basic client, used for setup, and can be used for watching live tv and recordings, but since it requires transcoding to a format a web browser can view, it's not the ideal client. Personally I use an Apple TV with NextPVR TV app as a client, and a Linux server as the backend.
Little more ideal:
It works by transmuxing MPEG-2 Transport Stream and AAC/MP3 streams into ISO BMFF (MP4) fragments. This transmuxing could be performed asynchronously using Web Worker if available in the browser.

• But let's contrast the Apple approach with that of Microsoft. Microsoft offers a 64-bit OS in Windows 10 that runs all 64-bit and all 32-bit programs. This is a valid choice of an Operating System. The problem is Microsoft ALSO gives customers the option to install 32-bit Windows 10 which will not run 64-bit programs.:eek:
I'm going to give Mythtv a try. It's in the repository and since mine isn't a complex setup hopefully it will go well. After doing some more reading about the epg situation, I'll just be using eid. 1 or 2 days worth should be fine. The Hauppage will be here tomorrow.
Iamnoob Wrote:I'm going to give Mythtv a try. It's in the repository and since mine isn't a complex setup hopefully it will go well. After doing some more reading about the epg situation, I'll just be using eid. 1 or 2 days worth should be fine. The Hauppage will be here tomorrow.

I have used MytyTV and NextPVR and believe me NextPVR is a much simpler install. If you made the choice to save a cup of coffee a month getting the guide data from SD think again. Sub will likely have OTA ATSC sometime but it is not a great choice anyway.

I expect with NextPVR you should be able to install scan ATSC, and load the SD guide and have a working solution in under 30 minutes. It will be interesting to hear your experiences with MythTV.

Martin
Pages: 1 2