NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Unable to communicate with server (IP Address)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there

I am new to NextPVR.

Like many I am transitioning from Windows 7 where I am using Media Center to record TV only, to Windows 10. I am looking for NextPVR to replace Media Center to record TV only. All other media centre duties are handled by Kodi on each of my HTPC's. Taking into account my HTPC setup, I think NextPVR seems to be my best option.

Under my Windows 7 setup, the server (HTPC-L) would record live TV to a local HDD. I would then copy the recordings on a schedule to my NAS to enable my client PC's to access these recordings for viewing later, which worked well.

With NextPVR I have set up the server side of the application and all works well, barring a shutdown issue which I will deal with later.

The issue above is specific to my client PC. I have this PC connecting to a Synology NAS. In effect all I want the client PC's to do is play back the recorded TV. As I use Kodi and intend to continue doing so, I can utilise the NextPVR Client addon which to be fair provides a superior and consistent user experience for other users e.g. WIFE.

I can browse to the same NAS from the same client PC using Windows Explorer with no issues and the NAS is there as a mapped drive as well.

I have found a post https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...ith+server that details the exact symptoms, but can see nothing that seems useful to me as a resolution and its a bit old. I have attached for a screenshot of the message. I realise that the date/timestamp is old but it gives you and indication of how long I have been attempting to find a resolution.

I have attached the client logs after the message was generated. The message generated by NextPVR appeared at approx 15:49, if that helps.

My environment consists of the following:-
3 x HTPC's
HTPC-L has the TV Tuner card, so in NextPVR terms is considered the server (currently Windows 7 SP1)
HTPC-S, is a client PC (currently Windows 10). This is my test PC.
HTPC-M, is a client PC (currently Windows 7 SP1)

1 x Synology NAS which BTW hosts a couple of databases for Kodi, so thought it could perform a similar role with NextPVR.

I want to use the NAS because it is the ONLY machine that runs 24/7. I am not keen on starting up another machine just to query the NPVR.db3 database file for recording or programme info.

That said any help would be appreciated . . . .

Cheers
You might have edited out some information from the logs (don't worry about the 192. range of IPs)

Are you sure your share is set up for writes?

2019-10-24 11:33:22.312 [ERROR][1] Unexpected error deleting PLAYBACK_POSITION: System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): attempt to write a readonly database
attempt to write a readonly database

Note you might want to consider knewc for the client if you think your wife wants the NextPVR interface. It runs under Kodi and can autostart and your don't have to worry about shares

On the client disable the NPVR Recording service too, there is no reason to have it running.

Martin
WOW . . . Thanks for your quick reply . .

I did not intentionally edit any of the logs. I think what you have highlighted is the remnants of some of my own testing considering the timestamp of the log entry.

The shares have read / write access for every user. Recording are written to the share and can be played back from the same share.

BTW . . The interface I want to use is Kodi not NextPVR. I am just using NextPVR as my backend so I am currently troubleshooting any NextPVR issues before moving onto Kodi.

Thanks for the tip on NPVR Recording Service, I will do that.

Cheers
I am talking the share for with the database, recordings are preformed by the server, but the NextPVR user folder also has to be shared and HTPC-L has to be available when the client whats to play a recording even from the video library. That message will also come up from time to time for other reasons.

You can run each client in server mode if your only goal is to have the NextPVR look and feel, but sound like overkill to me.

Depending on your tuner and if your Synology NAS as an Intel CPU and can run docker, you might be able to run v5 NextPVR on the NAS.

Martin
The primary reason for going to this trouble is because I do not want to use NextPVR as my UI. All I want NextPVR to do is record live TV. I want to use Kodi as my UI. Kodi manages my movie collection, TV show collection, music collection, Netflix (via addon), PrimeVideo and local streaming services via the Chrome Launcher addon. The only app that I am currently using outside Kodi is Media Center, which I am looking at NextPVR to replace under Windows 10. My plan is then to integrate this with Kodi using the NextPVR Client addon for Kodi.

That said I totally understand what you are saying and under that model everything works fine and I have tested that model successfully.

As I mentioned in my OP "I want to use the NAS because it is the ONLY machine that runs 24/7. I am not keen on starting up another machine just to query the NPVR.db3 database file for recording or programme info."

That said what would be the " . . . other reasons" that would cause the error?

Cheers
You say you don't want the NextPVR UI but in your first post you say you want the NextPVR UI for your wife. What you have to do is make the client run as an independent server and don't setup any TV or EPG options and she can play files from the NAS but will have no TV or recording options Any resume points deletes etc will not be available on the true server.

NextPVR does not have any shared database option.

The error will come up anytime the client talks to the server when the server is down.

Martin
I believe I mentioned the NextPVR Client addon in the context of Kodi, when I was talking about the UI for my wife.

Either way I'm getting the sense that NextPVR will not perform as I had hoped.

That said I will look at what you have suggested, and if that does not work I will play the files direct thru Kodi or use an external player thru Kodi.

Appreciate your help and many thanks Smile
(2019-10-29, 12:08 AM)NudeNut Wrote: [ -> ]The primary reason for going to this trouble is because I do not want to use NextPVR as my UI. All I want NextPVR to do is record live TV. I want to use Kodi as my UI. Kodi manages my movie collection, TV show collection, music collection, Netflix (via addon), PrimeVideo and  local streaming services via the Chrome Launcher addon. The only app that I am currently using outside Kodi is Media Center, which I am looking at NextPVR to replace under Windows 10. My plan is then to integrate this with Kodi using the NextPVR Client addon for Kodi.

That said I totally understand what you are saying and under that model everything works fine and I have tested that model successfully.

As I mentioned in my OP "I want to use the NAS because it is the ONLY machine that runs 24/7. I am not keen on starting up another machine just to query the NPVR.db3 database file for recording or programme info."

That said what would be the " . . . other reasons" that would cause the error?

Cheers
If you're not using NextPVR as the UI, then you don't need to worry about this. Just install NextPVR on the one PC with the tuners. The client machines don't need it. Just install kodi on those, and configure the Kodi addon with the IP address of your NextPVR server.

The screenshot you posted looks like you have tried to install NextPVR on these other machines, and tried to set them up to use client mode. You don't need NextPVR on these machines.