NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Possible to record in different format than .ts files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am looking at migrating away from my current PVR software provider because the recorded TV programs (.TS files) from one particular multiplex has issues on playback and the software does not allow any control over the recording format.
I am using UK freeview DVB T/T2 transmissions through my aerial.
Nearly every program that I record from one particular multiplex transmitted from my local transmitter (it's the one with all the HD channels on it) has black fullscreen interruptions all through the recording when played back on a 4K TV (they play fine on anything else and I have tried three different 4K TVs).
I've investigated this to death and can only say that the recorded tv files in the .TS format from that single multiplex are the problem.
Does NextPVR allow any control over the recording format of the files please? Such as creating a .mpg file for instance instead of the .TS file.
Many thanks.
No but mpg and ts are just containers.  I suspect your stream is going from ac3 to mpg or video aspect changes and your TV isn't handling it well.  If you have a sample on the cloud somewhere we can have a look.  Also if you have pass through 
audio on try turning it off.

Martin
Thanks, check out this link for a 1m21s long .ts file https://drive.google.com/file/d/10tZyb6o...sp=sharing
The blackouts are these locations: 31s, 43s, 46s, 49s, 59s, 1m3s, 1m7s, 1m14s.

It plays just fine on every combination of player and TV I have tried it on except for 3 different 4K TVs and when it is played directly on the TV i.e. not through something connected via hdmi, it always has those black full screen interruptions.
I'll try turning off audio pass through later tonight.
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the file. There was zero errors in the transport stream. ie, seems to be a perfect copy of what was broadcast.

Quote:Nearly every program that I record from one particular multiplex transmitted from my local transmitter (it's the one with all the HD channels on it) has black fullscreen interruptions all through the recording when played back on a 4K TV (they play fine on anything else and I have tried three different 4K TVs).
What were you using to play these shows on the 4K TVs? ie, nextpvr, some player built into the tv, some player in a device like apple tv / firestick / roku etc?
NextPVR records .ts files, since this is the format that is broadcast, and one of the few formats that allows playback while recording. Other formats such as mp4 / mkv etc are unable to do this.
As it's an Android TV I can use different video players and every one of them show the black screens. I've tried Kodi, Mx player pro, VLC and inbuilt video player. I've tried a Sony, Philips and Panasonic 4K TV and all do it. The files play fine on anything other than a 4K TV. It doesn't matter how I access the file either eg usb drive, SMB share, Google drive, dlna stream, it always happens. Nothing has changed in my setup except the new TV. My recording system has been stable for years. I currently use TVmosaic which also records in TS files the same as NPVR so I'm looking for an alternative PVR recorder that maybe can control the file format. If I convert the exact same TS file to, say, MP4, it plays fine.
It seems to be all the channels that are on the mux that contains the HD channels e.g. it always happens on BBC1HD and CH4HD in particular. This mux apparently is the only one that broadcasts in DTG mode6, maybe it has something to do with that?
Have your tried to strip out the DVB subtitles that might be causing the issue?

Martin
I'm not really sure how to explain that one. The file itself is absolutely fine though, so it is something going wrong on the TV end of things. Maybe something to do with the bitrate, or the encoding options used by the broadcaster, that some shared infrastructure on your TV's don't like (maybe something with Android TV, or hardware decoders or something). There is nothing inherently wrong the file that would stop it's use on a 4K tv - plays absolutely fine on the 4K monitor I have attached.

If you're using wireless, have you tried a wired connection, in case it's not managing the data rate?

While NextPVR will only record .ts files. If you absolutely need it, it's pretty straight forward to create a simple PostProcessing.bat file to use ffmpeg to convert it mp4 or mkv or something.
You mentioned hardware decoders which is interesting because whenever the player allows me to force software decoding (kodi, mx player) the black screens are not there but the playback is too choppy. I'm quite sure the three TVs I've tried have different hardware decoders (Sony, Philips, Panasonic) and the Panasonic is not an AndroidTV.
I can also confirm a 4K monitor attached to a PC plays the files fine too.
I can also confirm it's nothing to do with the network - I use WiFi because it's capable of 270+Mbps whereas the wired ethernet port is 10/100 only and capable of 50-60Mbps after the ethernet overheads. I have tried both connections anyway and the problem is there on both so I reverted to WiFi.
To sum up: I agree the files are fine because they play perfectly well on most devices and displays.
If I play back the files on a device connected through the hdmi port of the 4K TV it plays fine.
If I play the files back on any player directly on the TV's hardware the problem occurs (confirmed on 3 different TVs).
If I force software rendering on the TV's video player the issue is not there but playback isn't smooth enough.
It only seems to occur on recordings made from the BBCB mux that uses DTG mode6.

I'm starting to think there's not going to be anything I can do about this and the wife wants the old telly back!!
(2019-11-26, 09:55 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Have your tried to strip out the DVB subtitles that might be causing the issue?

Martin

How would I achieve this please? I'm willing to try anything!
Pages: 1 2 3