NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Network Connect Speed of MVP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is kinda off subject. But there are some pretty smart people on these forums that might be able to explain something to me. Or Not.

I just installed a 10/100 switch into my network. Thinking that it would allow the devices with 100mbs network hardware ( my server computer, and the MVP) to communicate at the faster speed. After switching the sever computer to 100mbs the MVP looses connection and keep searching for the server?

This also causes me to loose connection to my router and another computer both running at 10mbs.

I thouhgt the switch would allow the 100mbs devices to talk to the 10mbs devices?

Also I thought the MVP would connect through the switch to my server at 100mbs?

I know I am probably stupid and this is not how it is suppose to work or I missed something. But if anyone could educate me I would be most grateful!

Thanks a bunch,

Gunr
GUNR,
make sure the switch port the MVP connects to is set to auto. If you fix it at 100 full then you will have problems as the MVP switches from full duplex to half during streaming.
regards,
mvpaaagh.
Thanks for the replies guys,

tipster--> I have seen your post on tweeking and have already implimented some of them on my system. But I noticed that you said all your nodes are set to 100mb. I can't do that since my dsl box will only do 10mb. If I leave everything set to 10mb it works great. Also why would I have to open ports on my router? the switch is on the lan side it doesn't go through the router at all. Just through switch? I have XP's firewall disabled right now so I don't see how that could be getting in the way?

mvpaaagh --> hey again we have chatted before. The switch I bought is suppose to full auto on everything. Just plug and play! ( So they say) but nothing ever is!

My big problem is that the router is set up as the DHCP host to hand out IP addresses. Buuuuut it only runs at 10mb. So when I set my computer to 100mb or auto it wont find the router. I have set the ip statically but then again it wont connect. I can ping but the replies are very hit and miss? The MVP finds the router but I am assuming it is connecting at 10mb vice 100. That is probably why it can't see my server computer.

I don't know how or if you can even configure the MVP in any way as to what speed to run at or even how to set it's IP static?

That is the whole reason I bought the switch was so the MVP could talk to the server at 100mb ( more BW for video stream )but the server could still surf the web through switch since the switch is suppose to alow the 100mb to communicate with the 10 mb nodes.

I'll just have to read more and tinker and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks again, tipster I'm of to look for your post again!

Gunr
tipster,

I understand what you are saying. I too am talking about the LAN side of my DSL router. According to the documentation it runs at 10mb not 100. That is what I am talking about.

We are talking about the same thing! I just have some nodes (cards) that are 10/100 so they can do 100mb. But my dsl box (older) can only do 10mb on the lan side. Hence the reason I bought the 10/100 switch so they could talk to each other with the switch doing the buffering.

Guess I just bought to cheap a switch or something cause I am have great difficulty getting it to work.

Thanks for your help. I would love to work with you and get my LAN side screaming. Like I said before your tweeks I have tried so far have indeed sped things up. I am learning as I tinker. Thanks for your patience!

Gunr
by some chance. did you check the ip status of your network card on your main computer server or the computer that does not connect. most times if it say 169.X.X.X then it did not negociate the proper ip.. since most routers are set to work in the ip range 192.168.x.x .. chances are if the the server computer says 169.x.x.x then you have a little problem. the hint is that you say it only negociates 10megs. since this is determined by hardware and it always chooses highest setting that that is supported by the 2 connected ports . if you plug a 10/100 network into a 10/100 hub/ switch/router then it woulds still say connected at 100 even though the actual trans port is 10 if you connect a 10 to a 10/100 then it would say 10 but only for that port. the rest would still say connected at 100.. but if it say nothing and does not light up ( and you know the card works) then it mostly is a cable problem.. are you certian you are using a patch cable and not a cross over, if it a cross over then it would not connect.. for the computer that does not connect and you suspect a cross over cable plug it into the uplink port of your switch.( cross over cable are only ment for this port- it ment for conecting 2 or more switching devices together( but some switch have a switch to convert a uplink to a normal port- some are fixed-- perhaps that your problem you have that port set at uplink and using the wrong type of cable for this type of port..) from what you explained it looks like a cabling problem.. my assumption is everthing worked before via the the 10meg dsl router and it ports.. and with the addition of the the extra switch it stopped.. mostly likely cable problem.. did you try un hooking every thing and connect computer to computer via the switch alone. and work up from there??? if it does not work via the switch and 2 computers with static ips. ie 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0 (on computer 1)and 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0 ( on computer 2) then the switch is bad.. you set the ip via the control panel network devices/connections- properties of your network device- then choose properties of your tcp/ip and set them there. the ip and the submask try not to use the ip of 192.168.0.1 most times your router is set to that ip address)

also try a reset on your dsl router and mvp( not certain for mvp- never used them ) sometimes the routing table gets fudged up and screws up the entire system
It's a Gigafast EZ800s. Bought from Tiger Direct. I haven't had time to tinker any more with it yet. Probably won't untill Tuesday. I am dissapointed that it doesn't show connection speed by different colored leds. I should have spent a little more since you get what you pay for!

Gunr
tipstir- I think you glanced too quickly there.. it's not a 8/10/100 switch.. it a 8 port 10/100 switch..
I had the same problems with a sweex switch and a onboard SIS LAN, they connect at 100Mb but the error rate is then to high reducing the effective bandwidth to almust zero. Setting the connect to 10 Mb solves the problem, after that I used a other LAN in my computer (3COM) and now it runs at 100 Mb. So with me its is the combination of the switch and the LAN that will not run at 100 Mb, I tested a direct connect between the mediaMVP and the computer using the onboard SIS LAN and that runs fine at 100 Mb.
So, if you can, try a differend LAN in your computer maybe that will work.
Thanks for the idea martinmediamvp,

I'll give that a go. I was suspecting the onboard lan as the potential problem. I am not a big fan of anything onboard!

Gunr
most times if it an onboard lan and it gives you problems is because it using windows XP default driver instead of the motherboard factory driver. since it is SIS lan I do not think I ever ran across a board where the default windows xp driver worked 100% . also alot of lan now suspend almost imediately if no signal is detected at boot.. simple fix- disable and reable the lan driver from control panel.. I see this mostly with gigalan stuff. 10/100/1000 this problem+. for example--- I have a gigabyte motherboard GA-7N400-pro it suspends the lan as soon as you unplug it and will not work untill the lan is disable and re-enabled or restarted ( repair does not work). so if your computer was already running when you swapped cables etc... this might be a problem too..
Pages: 1 2