NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Windows 7 V4 to Linux V5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
My NEXTPVR machine is currently running MS Windows V7 and NEXTPVR V4. As Microsoft are ending support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020, I am considering moving the NEXTPVR machine over to Ubuntu and NEXTPVR V5. My current setup has windows installed on a separate drive to the recordings. Both drives are NTFS formatted. I have some spare hard drives, so do NOT need to update in place, however I am not sure I fully understand how to move the recordings over from WIN7 to LINUX.

I would appreciate comments as to whether the following would work:

1. run 'export recordings' on the WIN7 machine,
2. run the script referenced in this forum to correct the filenames for LINUX
3. install Ubuntu on a new drive
4. replace the Win7 boot drive with the Ubuntu drive
5. Install drivers for my Hauppauge WINTV-quad HD capture card
6. Install NextPVR V5
7. Import recordings form the XML file with the corrected filenames
8. Copy my recording files to a new hard disk formatted using a linux native format (i.e. not NTFS)
9. Make sure NextPVR points to the correct location of the recording files.

One thing I am not sure of, is how do I export / import my recurring recordings list (or is this part of the XML created by the 'export recording' option in NextPVR)?

Many thanks for your help, it will be greatly appreciated.
Bigbigblue
If you have a UEFI motherboard you don't even need to replace boot drives.

If you are talking about running my script to adjust the filenames that does it on the database so you don't need to worry about importing and exporting xml files.

Ubuntu will have no trouble with files on your NTFS drives if you want to skip step 8.

In step 5, the WinTV quad USB is not supported, hopefully you have PCI.

Martin
Martin,
Thanks for the help. I do have a UEFI motherboard, But I will replace the boot drive anyway, as I only have physical space in the machine for a total of 2 drives (1xboot, 1xrecordings).
Re the NTFS, I read it is better to use a native format as the NTFS 'driver' for Ubuntu is really slow and also does not have any of the error detection/correction which is there for LINUX native disk formats.
Thankfully I have a PCI version of the WINTV Quad HD.
Cheers
Bigbigblue
I don't know about NTSF being slow on Ubuntu but, the reason I moved mine to Ext4 because the way NTSF needs periodic defraging, I guess that could be what you heard. I did it before I had a problem. I ran it for some time on NTSF with no perceivable slowness.

Having the data on NTSF does have the advantage of easy swapping between computers.
Martin,
sorry to be a nuisance, but is this the correct script to correct the filenames: https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...#pid527470 ?
I understand I need to adjust the paths for my usage case.
Regards
Yes that shows how to connect the two database files and the tables you might want to consider in upgrading with some examples.

Martin
Martin
Thank you.
Martin,
I have installed NEXTPVR and Kodi on Linux OK. I tried to run the script but was unsuccessful, so I decided to import my list of recordings from the windows version of NextPVR. I did the export and edited the XML file to change from the windows path name to the Linux one, however when I rey to import, it fails telling me that it is not adding a non existant file, e.g :

not adding none-existant file:/media/peter/NEXTPVRDATA/Recordings/Horrible Bosses/Horrible Bosses_20170610_21152305.ts

The file definitely exists - I confirmed this by running the following command in terminal

(ls '/media/peter/NEXTPVRDATA/Recordings/Horrible Bosses/Horrible Bosses_20170610_21152305.ts' && echo yes) || echo no

which gives the response 'yes', but NextPVR doesn't seem able to find it. I have set the permissions to 777 and the owner to nextpvr for all files and folders in /media/peter/NEXTPVRDATA/

Is it failing because of the spaces in the filenames and how can I get around this?

Thanks
Linux doesn't like blank spaces in path names. You can get around this by enclosing the entire path in quotes. Try:

ls "/media/peter/NEXTPVRDATA/Recordings/Horrible Bosses/Horrible Bosses_20170610_21152305.ts" && echo yes| echo no

Case also is critical in linux, capital A  is different from little a.
Looking at it more closely, this will do thhe same thing and more"
Code:
ls -lta "/media/peter/NEXTPVRDATA/Recordings/Horrible Bosses"
Pages: 1 2