NextPVR Forums

Full Version: File permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was wondering what the file permission, owner, and group should be for nextpvr user data folder and sub folders? In my case the folder is located at the default location /var/opt/nextpvr. Somehow I messed up the permissions when restoring a backup of the folder and the nextpvr folder became inaccessible, even to view the contents.

Thanks,
Rex
(2020-01-04, 06:55 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Did you check this post https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...#pid524823

Martin
Ok. I thought those settings were for any recording folders that were created by the user after installation. 

Mostly I'm interested in the folder where the npvr.db3 resides. I went ahead and changed the owner to nextpvr and the group to root then chmod the folder to 775. That seems to work OK but not sure what it should be.
That linked script should reset /var/opt/nextpvr to the videos group which is probably better than root, but group nextpvr owner nextpvr works too. If you messed up permission make sure that you change files recursively too.

Martin
Hi there,

I'm a first time nextpvr user and I have the exact same problem when trying to record to an smb-share. The permissions are set correctly. I can write to the share as user nextpvr and the nextpvr-software can aswell, since it does create the ts- and ts.map-files. Yet they both have 0 bytes.

As soon as I try to play a running recording from the web interface it fails to play (the first time), but then it actually starts recording and the ts-file starts growing. This workaround naturally is no viable solution, but it might give some insight into what causes the issue.

Cheers aimaim
It could be Linux, or it could be the CIFS setting on the file server or in /etc/fstab but if it is not working the permissions are not set correctly.

However the second paragraph indicates that the files are growing, because of memory file management you can't trust the file size. On Linux you can even delete a file that open and it can still play if it was opened. Perhaps try playback with a direct play client.

Martin
Sorry, I got confused. I answered in the wrong thread. I meant to post here:
https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...light=cifs
In either thread, this doesn't sound exactly like a permissions issue. Create a new thread attaching the zipped NextPVR logs which show you starting the recording then let it record fro a few minutes and then cancel the recording.

Martin
(2022-07-05, 08:05 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]In either thread, this doesn't sound exactly like a permissions issue.  Create a new thread attaching the zipped NextPVR logs which show you starting the recording then let it record fro a few minutes and then cancel the  recording.

Martin

You're way to fast for me. I already posted in the other thread  Undecided
I'll do that as soon as I figure out where to find the logs  Smile

Edit: Ok got it: /var/opt/nextpvr/logs/