NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Guide and search problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just started using the iOS app, and I'm running into a few problems.

1) TV Guide tab: the data loaded always seems to be incomplete. When I first select that tab, the table presented is fully populated. However, if I scroll a couple of hours in either direction, everything is blank. Specifics seem to depend somewhat on the time of day, but the main thing is that data is never complete. For example, it is now about 10:20pm. I have full data going back to about 6:30pm tonight, and up through midnight. But when I looked earlier this evening, data did not go all the way through midnight - it cut off some time before that.

The really strange thing is, if I pick any future day, it's the same thing. That is, if I now choose any upcoming day from the dropdown list, I get listings for 6:30pm through midnight - and nothing for the rest of any of the days.

2) The Search feature crashes the app. If I tap on the Search tab, I can enter a string in the Keyword box. Then once I hit "Go", the app crashes (I get bounced back to the home screen).

3) There's odd behavior on the startup screen...not really a problem, but worth mentioning. I have two entries in my list - one for when I'm at home on my LAN, and one for outside (using a No-IP address). But the app seems to create a third entry, which is a corruption of the local IP. Just using some fake numbers - if the entry for my server on the LAN is 1.2.3.4:8866, the app also adds 1.3.2.4:8866 (and this entry doesn't work). If I delete the bad entry, it will return the next time I start the app.

Overall though, the app is great. In particular, the feature I most wanted it for (playback of recordings) seems very solid.

I'm running NextPVR 5.0.1.200103 on a Synology DS418play using Docker. For iOS, I'm using an iPhone 7 and iPad Pro 10.5", both with iOS 13.3. All of the things I mentioned above behave the same way on both devices, and it doesn't seem to matter if I'm on my LAN or connecting remotely.

Doug
(2020-01-25, 03:35 AM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]I just started using the iOS app, and I'm running into a few problems. 

1) TV Guide tab:  the data loaded always seems to be incomplete.  When I first select that tab, the table presented is fully populated.  However, if I scroll a couple of hours in either direction, everything is blank.  Specifics seem to depend somewhat on the time of day, but the main thing is that data is never complete.  For example, it is now about 10:20pm.  I have full data going back to about 6:30pm tonight, and up through midnight.  But when I looked earlier this evening, data did not go all the way through midnight - it cut off some time before that.

The really strange thing is, if I pick any future day, it's the same thing.  That is, if I now choose any upcoming day from the dropdown list, I get listings for 6:30pm through midnight - and nothing for the rest of any of the days.
What phone are you using?

I have had a couple of other users report this in the past, but I wasn't able to reproduce it at the time. I'll have another try.
(2020-01-25, 03:35 AM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]3) There's odd behavior on the startup screen...not really a problem, but worth mentioning.  I have two entries in my list - one for when I'm at home on my LAN, and one for outside (using a No-IP address).  But the app seems to create a third entry, which is a corruption of the local IP.  Just using some fake numbers - if the entry for my server on the LAN is 1.2.3.4:8866, the app also adds 1.3.2.4:8866 (and this entry doesn't work).  If I delete the bad entry, it will return the next time I start the app.
I suspect this is actually the subnet being used inside the docker container.

Try passing the following environment variable to the docker container to see if the problem goes away:

HOST_IP=192.168.1.51

(but substituting with the real IP address of your Synology NAS)

With this environment set, this is the IP address that will be reported by NextPVR when responding to discovery requests (rather than the IP address being used internally within the container)
(2020-01-25, 06:06 AM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-25, 03:35 AM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]I just started using the iOS app, and I'm running into a few problems. 

1) TV Guide tab:  the data loaded always seems to be incomplete.  When I first select that tab, the table presented is fully populated.  However, if I scroll a couple of hours in either direction, everything is blank.  Specifics seem to depend somewhat on the time of day, but the main thing is that data is never complete.  For example, it is now about 10:20pm.  I have full data going back to about 6:30pm tonight, and up through midnight.  But when I looked earlier this evening, data did not go all the way through midnight - it cut off some time before that.

The really strange thing is, if I pick any future day, it's the same thing.  That is, if I now choose any upcoming day from the dropdown list, I get listings for 6:30pm through midnight - and nothing for the rest of any of the days.

I have had a couple of other users report this in the past, but I wasn't able to reproduce it at the time. I'll have another try.
It’s an iPhone 7.  But the problem is not specific to the phone - the same thing happens on my iPad Pro.

Right now (earlier in the day - 8:20am) it’s a little different.  Now, I have listings for each day starting at midnight, and complete through 7:00pm.  But nothing for any day after 7:30pm.

** Update **

It's now 12:25pm, and I see exactly the same thing as earlier this morning - full listings for each day through the 7pm block, nothing from 7:30pm on.  This now leads me to suspect that the problem has something to do with conversion between UTC and local time; I'm in the US Eastern time zone (UTC-5).  My guess is that the app is cutting off guide data at the end of the day in UTC, then converting everything to local time for display purposes.

What I saw last evening (after 7pm) was data going back about 5 hours *before* midnight.  I have a feeling that I'll see some abrupt change in behavior today once I cross the 7pm boundary.

Doug
(2020-01-25, 06:16 AM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-25, 03:35 AM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]3) There's odd behavior on the startup screen...not really a problem, but worth mentioning.  I have two entries in my list - one for when I'm at home on my LAN, and one for outside (using a No-IP address).  But the app seems to create a third entry, which is a corruption of the local IP.  Just using some fake numbers - if the entry for my server on the LAN is 1.2.3.4:8866, the app also adds 1.3.2.4:8866 (and this entry doesn't work).  If I delete the bad entry, it will return the next time I start the app.

Try passing the following environment variable to the docker container to see if the problem goes away:

HOST_IP=192.168.1.51

With this environment set, this is the IP address that will be reported by NextPVR when responding to discovery requests (rather than the IP address being used internally within the container)

I just checked, and I already had HOST_IP set...but it turns out, incorrectly.  I had it set to 192.1.168.197 (the bad address my app kept grabbing).  Oops.  Tongue   I changed it to the correct setting (192.168.1.197), and - problem solved.

Thanks for the help.

Doug
(2020-01-25, 05:24 PM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-25, 06:16 AM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]

HOST_IP=192.168.1.51

I just checked, and I already had HOST_IP set...but it turns out, incorrectly.  I had it set to 192.1.168.197 (the bad address my app kept grabbing).  Oops.  Tongue   I changed it to the correct setting (192.168.1.197), and - problem solved.

Thanks for the help.

Doug
Great. I knew it'd be that.
(2020-01-25, 01:25 PM)dsreyn Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-01-25, 06:06 AM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]

It’s an iPhone 7.  But the problem is not specific to the phone - the same thing happens on my iPad Pro.

Right now (earlier in the day - 8:20am) it’s a little different.  Now, I have listings for each day starting at midnight, and complete through 7:00pm.  But nothing for any day after 7:30pm.

** Update **

It's now 12:25pm, and I see exactly the same thing as earlier this morning - full listings for each day through the 7pm block, nothing from 7:30pm on.  This now leads me to suspect that the problem has something to do with conversion between UTC and local time; I'm in the US Eastern time zone (UTC-5).  My guess is that the app is cutting off guide data at the end of the day in UTC, then converting everything to local time for display purposes.

What I saw last evening (after 7pm) was data going back about 5 hours *before* midnight.  I have a feeling that I'll see some abrupt change in behavior today once I cross the 7pm boundary.

Doug
Ok, I'll have another try at reproducing it today.
I little more info on #2 (search feature crash). It looks like the problem has to do with displaying results. I've played around with various searches, and there seems to be consistent behavior depending on whether or not the search matches something in the guide. If I give it a garbage string (say "XYZxyz"), or a legitimate string that isn't currently in the guide data (for example, "Dancing with the Stars", which is currently off-season), it works as it should. Obviously, no results are displayed (since nothing matches), but there's no crash. But anything that should have some matching results causes a crash, and bounces me back to the iOS home screen.

Doug
I think I fixed #2 recently, and it related to a slight difference in the response coming back from NextPVR v5, but I haven't updated the app store build yet. (because I got sidetrack with other stuff and forgot about it)
After studying things more closely throughout the day for a few days, I can confirm consistent behavior (same thing every day):

- Any time before 7pm local time, I get full guide data from the beginning of the day (midnight) through 7pm, and everything is blank after that (other than shows that start earlier and carry over - say, a 3 hour movie starting at 6pm).

- After 7pm (including checking tonight at 7:01pm), I get data from 7pm through midnight, and everything is blank earlier in the day. Again, with the exception of anything that carries over across the 7pm boundary.

So given that I'm at UTC-5, UT vs. local time seems like the probable cause.

Doug
Pages: 1 2