NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Application crashes and instability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

Brand new download and install of Windows 10
Downloaded most recent v4 NextPVR (version 5 still says beta and I wanted the stable release)
Connecting with Kodi

I am experiencing many many application crashes and instability. Sometimes live tv works, sometimes it doesn't. Last evening I watched tv downstairs for a while, no problem at all. Went upstairs to finish watching the show, and then it was not working. Checked it this morning and it's working again

I set the service to restart, so that keeps it running, otherwise after one of these crashes it doesn't start. I did find some messages relating to the PC trying to sleep. I turned that off for now, although I would like to be able to have it sleeping overnight when we're sleeping.

I tried running it in Windows 7 and Windows 8 compatibility mode but no joy.

What am I missing? I'm assuming if this was a widespread issue the forums would be full of messages about it. Can anyone offer any advice or tips on how to get NextPVR running? I'm currently using ServerWMC and Windows Media Center on Windows 7, but since the application and the OS are out of support I wanted to convert to NextPVR on Windows 10

Attached are Windows event log messages and logs from NextPVR

Thanks for any help anyone can offer

Matt
In the SiliconDust configuration NextPVR should have the BDA compatibility set to MediaPortal or Default. Perhaps you have another mode, even NextPVR is not a good choice? It is crashing in NetPush which is not something I can recall seeing. If your firmware is not current that could be any thing to look at

V5 is actually worth a look when the next version comes out I suggest you try it. Depending if you have new or legacy tuners there is an alternative method of accessing the HDHR's that don't use BDA.

Martin
(2020-02-08, 01:38 PM)mld1101 Wrote: [ -> ]What am I missing? I'm assuming if this was a widespread issue the forums would be full of messages about it.
It's definitively not normal. As you say - the forums would be full of posts about it if it were normal. It's probably something environmental, like other software you're running.

I'm only putting a limited effort into support v4 these days, but we can see if there is any obvious reason.

If you temporarily disable antivirus / firewall software, does it make any difference? I do remember one particular user having some weird issues with his antivirus software getting in the way when trying to scan the live tv buffer files as it was creating them.

When it crashes, do you get a c:\temp\crash.mdmp? (if you don't have that directory, create it for next time)
>> In the SiliconDust configuration NextPVR should have the BDA compatibility set to MediaPortal or Default. Perhaps you have another mode, even NextPVR is not a good choice?

Looks like this setting was causing my issues. I had it set to NextPVR (it seemed like the right choice). I put it back to default and so far no crashes and everything is working.

I understand you not putting effort in v4. Makes perfect sense to me. I didn't think it was a problem with NextPVR, my question was more "What did I do to cause this"

Thanks for the help!

Matt
(2020-02-08, 02:05 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]In the SiliconDust configuration NextPVR should have the BDA compatibility set to MediaPortal or Default.  Perhaps you have another mode, even NextPVR is not a good choice
It is astonishing to me that SiliconDust still does not have a "NextPVR" setting that works properly with NextPVR. i was an active forum participant mainly from 2013 to 2015, and even back then we were advising HDHomeRun owners to use a different setting. I wonder how many newbies have given up on NextPVR because of that rather than posting at the forum?