NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Is there a quick/easy way to 'refresh channels' in NextPVR?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greetings all.

I've been a user of the basic features of NextPVR for about a year and a half, but a first time poster here!

As mentioned, basic usage is the extent of my experience, but I'm hoping there's a quick way of doing what I need to do on a regular basis. The issue is that I use an IPTV provider that's very reliable, but is regularly moving channels around or otherwise reorganizing things.

What happens is that, while I'm able to watch a stream, the guide for these moved channels only has "(no show details)" This kills any timer recordings, of course.

The upshot is that, every 3 to 5 weeks, I need to carry out the following workflow:

Delete the provider...
Re-add the provider...
Manually delete the many, many channels I don't use...
Delete the groups containing the channels in the prior step, since deleting the groups first doesn't delete the channels...
Recreate timers...

Yes, I am the opposite of a 'power user'! Wink 

So... since the channels are still viewable but EPG data is being messed up by these moves, is there an easier/quicker way of relinking the two? I know the EPG data is still there (somewhere...) as trying the same provider with an IPTV box shows that it's updated properly when connecting to the provider.

If I can provide any further info to help you help me, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! Smile

P.S... for some reason, the forum software has deleted my account a few times over the past year, so I didn't really just join in Feb. 2020! Dodgy
I would try v5 to see if the update process is better. If that doesn't work consider trying xteve with v5 which acts like a proxy between NextPVR and the provider to manage the playlist and epg and then your recordings won't get messed up.

Martin
You can run "nextpvr.exe -m3u" to have it pull in new channels from the IPTV source.

NextPVR v5 is better in this respect. It lets you select channel groups to import when initially setting up IPTV. It also lets you select which groups to update from the IPTV sources via a convenient 'update m3u' button.

Quote:P.S... the forum software has deleted my account a few times over the past couple of months, so I didn't really just join in Feb. 2020
I'm not aware of any accounts being deleted. A few banned for spam, but that's it.
(2020-02-10, 09:16 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]You can run "nextpvr.exe -m3u" to have it pull in new channels from the IPTV source.

NextPVR v5 is better in this respect. It lets you select channel groups to import when initially setting up IPTV. It also lets you select which groups to update from the IPTV sources via a convenient 'update m3u' button.

Quote:P.S... the forum software has deleted my account a few times over the past couple of months, so I didn't really just join in Feb. 2020
I'm not aware of any accounts being deleted. A few banned for spam, but that's it.

Thanks for the suggestion(s).

I'm assuming you mean "run "nextpvr.exe -m3u"" in a Windows dialogue box or create a .bat file and run this when the issue pops up... assuming it helps the first time?

As for the account being deleted, it seems to be the case when I don't visit the forum for a few weeks... it didn't happen the first several months I was a member, but has happened twice Christmas-ish: I had to re-register on Dec. 28, 2019 and again today...
Okay... how do I safely kill the background nextpvr.exe process? It's been running for over half an hour with moderate (5-10%) CPU usage and constant disc access... and while it's added a few hundred channels (and counting!) according to Settings - Devices, it's continuing to update npvr.db3 a few times per minute and shows no sign of stopping.

Oh... and it's not correcting the missing EPG data issue... unless it'll do so when it eventually stops... if it stops... Huh
(2020-02-10, 09:12 PM)CenturyBreak Wrote: [ -> ]What happens is that, while I'm able to watch a stream, the guide for these moved channels only has "(no show details)"
To be honest the "-m3u" probably wont fix this.

If hitting "update epg" doesn't fix it, then it's likely your IPTV provider has changed the epg mapping for the channel. I'm not sure if there is any easy fix for this (other than hoping your IPTV provider stops breaking things Big Grin)
I'd probably go with NextPVR v5. Hopefully it'll fix your EPG when you do click 'update m3u'.
(2020-02-10, 10:17 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]I'd probably go with NextPVR v5. Hopefully it'll fix your EPG when you do click 'update m3u'.

Is "update m3u" a feature in v5 and not v4?

Back to my earlier question: how long should the '-m3u' take to run in the background? It's been ~ 40 minutes and shows no signs of slowing... the disc access light on the front of the ol' PC is on continuously! Confused 

Can I just end the process? In case it matters, I'm still on Win7... Cool
(2020-02-10, 10:22 PM)CenturyBreak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-02-10, 10:17 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]I'd probably go with NextPVR v5. Hopefully it'll fix your EPG when you do click 'update m3u'.

Is "update m3u" a feature in v5 and not v4?
v5 has a 'Update M3U' button. v4 had this similar feature via "nextpvr.exe -m3u", but it was much more primitive. In v5 it'll ask you want groups you want to update etc.

Quote:Back to my earlier question: how long should the '-m3u' take to run in the background?
It's usually about 30 seconds max. ie, typically just a second or two longer than it takes to download the m3u from your IPTV provider. Most would only be a few seconds.
(2020-02-10, 10:22 PM)CenturyBreak Wrote: [ -> ]Can I just end the process?
Yeah. I can look at the logs if you want, to see if it was actually doing anything.
Pages: 1 2 3