NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Where are logs saved?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see that I can download the logs from the webui 'About' page. 

This gives me a .zip file. Functional, but awkward; Where are the logs saved in realtime? Is there a way to watch them (e.g. 'tail -f')? I don't see output going to syslog, or any files in /opt/nextpvr that are log files .
(2020-04-16, 05:49 PM)wmarler Wrote: [ -> ]Where are the logs saved in realtime? Is there a way to watch them (e.g. 'tail -f')?

Does this help ... https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/components
You can't watch them in real time with tail because of caching, you need to add the line VERBOSE_LOGGING=true to the
/etc/nextpvr-server.conf file

The logs aren't that useful for real time debugging with tail though there is a lot of spam and verbose logging makes it worse.

Martin
(2020-04-16, 05:50 PM)Graham Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-04-16, 05:49 PM)wmarler Wrote: [ -> ]Where are the logs saved in realtime? Is there a way to watch them (e.g. 'tail -f')?

Does this help ... https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/components

yes it did, thank you. I found them in /var/opt/nextpvr/logs
(2020-04-16, 06:00 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]You can't watch them in real time with tail because of caching,  you need to add the line VERBOSE_LOGGING=true  to the
/etc/nextpvr-server.conf file

The logs aren't that useful for real time debugging with tail though there is a lot of spam and verbose logging makes it worse.

Martin

I'm not sure I follow. 'tail -f /var/opt/nextpvr/logs/nrecord.log' shows me output that's pretty darn close to realtime -- or at least close enough to realtime for my purposes.
When NextPVR writes to it's logs files, for performance reasons it doesn't force the operating system to flush each log message to disk (unless the environment variable VERBOSE_LOGGING=true is set). The operating system will often cache up a few of those messages before commiting them to disk, so tailing the log may be a little behind (unless the file system is smart enough to know, and it gives you the stuff not yet flushed).

When the user hits the log files button, it forces the logging to be commited to disk, so that the logs include the very latest messages.

Tailing the logs is probably find if you just want to see vaguely what it's up to, and don't mind if it's a little behind.