NextPVR Forums

Full Version: MX-Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
MX-Linux is Debian 10 based and has both systemd and sysVinit for their service manager. I was able to install NextPVR but it returned errors. I discovered that the default was sysVint when booting MX-Linux. Thankfully, there is an option to make the default systemd at boot so after doing this NextPVR runs on MX-Linux just fine.

I am curious though, is it possible to get NextPVR to run with sysVint? I asked this question on the MX-Linux forum https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=57469 and his response was that I would need an init script suitable for svinit. 

Just wondering if it's possible.

Thanks
Other than being the mx-linux default why would anyone actually want to use the older method?

Martin
(2020-04-17, 09:39 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Other than being the mx-linux default why would anyone actually want to use the older method?

Martin
That's a good question. Not being much a Linux user until NextPVR v5 I never heard of sysVinit or systemd before trying MX-Linux. I guess there is a "sysVinit only" camp within this distro yet they made it work with systemd  as well. I just thought it would be fun to try.

There were a couple responses to my post at the MX forum pointing to ways to convert systemd to sysVinit so I think I will give those a go.
Well, I think after browsing those posts it's best not to mess with it. There are many more posts on converting services from the old sysvinit to systemd Smile
That was my initial feeling I remember how much easier systemd was to setup and use. I made a note that systemd was part of the requirements though

Martin