NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Features missing and problems encountered
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Linux version has no NTray.

The guide shows less info. No date of movie made or original air date of tv shows, actors when selecting a show to record. When moving from show to show within the guide their is no description of the show. In version 4.x the guide has a description of each show at the bottom when highlighted. 

When entering a time and date of a manual recording it only saves properly if the up, down arrows are used to select a time. If the number keys of a keyboard are used the entered time is discarded.

No power management. The PC does not automatically power on and off before and after recordings.

Keyboard shortcuts within the guide do not exist to move 24hrs forward or backward and their are no page up, down shortcuts.
You point is windows and linux are different. If you don't like it use the Windows server version.

You can't compare the web client to NextPVR.exe Try Kodi on linux if you want a real cliient and if you want the NextPVR.exe GUI experience try nlite or knewc in Kodi,

Martin
I have Windows 7. I were looking for a free alternative. I am not a software programmer. It seems like you are saying features within a software program cannot be inserted from OS to OS. Is that true?
(2020-04-28, 12:14 AM)koijh65 Wrote: [ -> ]The Linux version has no NTray.
Correct - there is no plan to provide this. You can see what the tuners are doing using the Device Status button in the Settings screen.

Quote:The guide shows less info. No date of movie made or original air date of tv shows, actors when selecting a show to record. When moving from show to show within the guide their is no description of the show. In version 4.x the guide has a description of each show at the bottom when highlighted. 
In the web app you can click on a show to see it's description etc. True, this doesn't currently show as much info as nextpvr.exe. I'll try to add this extra info.

Windows users still have nextpvr.exe available, so can use that if they prefer.

Quote:When entering a time and date of a manual recording it only saves properly if the up, down arrows are used to select a time. If the number keys of a keyboard are used the entered time is discarded.
Ok, I'll check this.

Quote:No power management. The PC does not automatically power on and off before and after recordings.
On Windows it's the same as v4. ie, NextPVR will actively request Windows be awake at recording time, and will stop the machine from going to sleep during recording. (it does not power off a machine after recording - it leaves this up to whatever power management settings you've made in Windows, like sleep after x minutes of idle).

On Linux the power management functions provided by the operating system are much more primitive, so NextPVR just assume your machine will be awake at the time it needs to record.

Quote:Keyboard shortcuts within the guide do not exist to move 24hrs forward or backward and their are no page up, down shortcuts.
The web app does haven't keyboard shortcuts. It's not that sort of app. It's intended for mouse usage.
(2020-04-28, 12:25 AM)koijh65 Wrote: [ -> ]It seems like you are saying features within a software program cannot be inserted from OS to OS. Is that true?
Yes, there are small differences in the platforms, like power management, and supported tuner types etc. For the most part it'll look and behave the same one all OS though.
True. NTray and NextPVR use a Microsoft specific .NET Framework. The server is netcore which is mult platform but something things like power mgt are missing.

A multi platform GUI version of .NET 5 might be read in the winter. Whether sub uses that for his new client remains to be seen.

Martin
I meant sleep functionality. Not power on and off. I chose the wrong words.
(2020-04-28, 12:29 AM)koijh65 Wrote: [ -> ]I meant sleep functionality. Not power on and off. I chose the wrong words.
On Windows it's the same as v4. ie, NextPVR will actively request Windows be awake at recording time, and will stop the machine from going to sleep during recording. (it does not put the machine to sleep after recording - it leaves this up to whatever power management settings you've made in Windows, like sleep after x minutes of idle).

On Linux the power management functions provided by the operating system are much more primitive, so NextPVR just assume your machine will be awake at the time it needs to record.
I have used NextPVR on Windows for years. If the PC is sleeping NextPVR wakes the PC and puts it to sleep about 1 minute before and after a recording. My OS sleep settings are for 10 minutes of inactivity.
(2020-04-28, 12:37 AM)koijh65 Wrote: [ -> ]I have used NextPVR on Windows for years. If the PC is sleeping NextPVR wakes the PC and puts it to sleep about 1 minute before and after a recording. My OS sleep settings are for 10 minutes of inactivity.
NextPVR is not putting your machine to sleep - that is just the Windows power management doing it's thing and deciding to put the machine to sleep after NextPVR no longer needs it.