NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Lost EPG (was working) - possibly since upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi.

I am trying to sort out a few things on my install of NextPVR (originally Version: 5.0.5.200518, now updated to 5.0.6.200614) on Kubuntu 18.04 (not using Docker) [(UK based)

So far in terms of recording, NextPVR has proved the most reliable system to use my DVB stick receiver (Hauppage WinTV Nova-T) . Thank you.

However, I have struggled to get genre showing on the search drop down.

Hence I upgraded (first response from support is usually to upgrade to latest version).

Now I cannot get any EPG data.

The only change on the system is the upgrade (the PC is not used for anything else, other than browsing).

The old EPG data ran out earlier in the week [originally the TV Guide was blank after the last programme] and
- rescanning EPG,
- rescanning channels then EPG,
- rescanning devices then channels then EPG
has not resolved the problem (with reboots between). Now the TV Guide just shows 'no listings', though the system suggests EPG etc exist (see attachment).

Up until the 'old' EPG data ran out the system was showing EPG and recording successfully (direct and scheduled). (Live TV was bit hit and miss but I do not use that)

Watching live TV now shows data being received but not image/sound. No programmes in the TVGuide means I cannot test recording that way.

Where should I find the EPG data (filename and location)?
Where can I begin looking to identify the issue, given it was working OK until recently (other than the lack of genres).
(guessing the nrecord.log or the /var/opt/nextpvr/logs/device-adapter.log)

I have looked in the Linux forum without success, but forgive me if I have missed something, being new to NextPVR.

Incidental: I tried raising the scan time for EPG to 120 secs, but when I rescanned it still showed only 60 secs.

TIA[attachment=1845]
(2020-07-01, 10:42 AM)hawkeye100 Wrote: [ -> ]Where should I find the EPG data (filename and location)?
Where can I begin looking to identify the issue, given it was working OK until recently (other than the lack of genres).
(guessing the nrecord.log or the /var/opt/nextpvr/logs/device-adapter.log)

EPG data is stored in the database ... https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/components

Please attach zipped logs to a post telling us the time that you did an EPG update ... https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/get-help

Thanks
I downloaded the logs just after posting the question - here they are.

As to exactly when the upgrade took place ... hard to recall precisely.

It was several days after the upgrade appeared as available on the settings page.

I have some older logs which I think were before the upgrade if they also help.

Thanks[attachment=undefined]
Not sure they attached - sorry if repeated
(2020-07-02, 10:10 AM)hawkeye100 Wrote: [ -> ]I downloaded the logs just after posting the question - here they are.

I have some older logs which I think were before the upgrade if they also help.

Thanks[attachment=undefined]

(2020-07-02, 10:12 AM)hawkeye100 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure they attached - sorry if repeated

Logs did not attach ... The forum software silently fails to upload a file larger than 2 Meg ... You should use cloud storage and post a link for larger files.
OK - thanks - here is the link:

Logs 1st July
(2020-07-01, 10:42 AM)hawkeye100 Wrote: [ -> ]Now I cannot get any EPG data.

The nrecord.log has ...

Quote:2020-06-30 20:45:55.446 [DEBUG][87] {"stat": "ok", "status": "Scanning 498000000OFF SID:4163\r\n13 seconds remaining...", "updating": true}
2020-06-30 20:45:55.820 [DEBUG][73] Got 339 events

and ...

Quote:2020-06-30 20:46:08.005 [DEBUG][73] - saving 344 listings for channel: BBC Radio 1
2020-06-30 20:46:08.005 [DEBUG][73] - saving 1411 listings for channel: CBeebies
2020-06-30 20:46:08.005 [DEBUG][73] - saving 6 listings for channel: VisionTV

It appears that NextPVR is capturing EPG data from the broadcast stream.

Things to try include ... Ensure that NextPVR is not recording or doing Live TV when you do the EPG update ... Also, you can increase the value of <EPGScanSeconds> in config.xml ... https://github.com/sub3/NextPVR/wiki/adv...config.xml
Yes there is a lot of log spam being generated by NextPVR in OTA EPG updates right now but it will help sub see why it is not being parsed.The 238MB device log is probably a bit much.

I fully suspect it is the OTA UK is recently re-identified. this is one is a a bad unicode apostrophe.

Code:
<description>Wings of Courage: More than 22,000 Canadians flew for the British Air Services in the First World War. This documentary looks back at Canadas early aviator heroism. (Part 2 of 3)</description>

System.Xml.XmlException: '', hexadecimal value 0x19, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 147160.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadNode(Boolean skipOverWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.LoadDocSequence(XmlDocument parentDoc)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.LoadXml(String xml)
   at NShared.DVBEPGSource.ListingsFromXML(String xml, String keyOverride)

Martin
Thanks for your replies.

@mvallevand - not sure I understand OTA to be honest - guessing it is the way the EPG is formatted or encoded.

@Graham - thanks. I had tried extending the EPG scan settings via the web UI but it did not stick (stayed at 60secs when scanning and in the UI config setting).

Tried by editing the config,xml directly (with nextPVR service stopped) - the xml file shows 120secs but the config setting still shows 60secs. However, doing a scan now shows 120secs - looks like possible issue with the UI.

No recording or viewing has been taking place whilst testing loading the EPG.

Good news - the TVGuide is now showing content. Thank you.

I seem to have many more channels than before, with content missing from ones that previously had content - but those channels now repeated elsewhere in the list (same SID and frequency). Is that likely a function of the feed config being changed by the provider? or maybe something I have done somewhere? 
  • Can I simply delete the empty old ones? 
  • Will it do the same each EPG update?
  • Does automerge solve this issue? 
  • Will Automerge then do so repeatedly on each EPG update?
Meanwhile I took a peek (no edits) at the database and it shows the EPG has been loaded in there (up to 10 or 11 July). See screenshot. No genres unfortunately. 

When I used the same WinTV dongle with TVHeadend on different system it did show genres, so guessing it may be a question of field mapping? (TVHeadend and that system had other issues - hence trying nextPVR)

Is there any way to try and work this out? It would be helpful please.
TIA

Incidental: if I record series, the blocks on the TVGuide do not show red - that only happens with a single recording. (and past recordings do not show green either way) - Not essential but may be of interest unless I have misunderstood what is supposed to happen.
I expected the problem with the "quote" to pass the show causing the problem was on July 1. The problem will be back

Martin
Pages: 1 2 3