NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Local ATSC EPG Poll
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As many you know Windows side of thing has Local ATSC EPG support but not Linux NextPVR and it need the same  Heart 
The reason for off line EPG you for people how don't have internet
Sub recently posted on this https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...#pid546667 and it is on his to do list, but it is correctly placed at a low priority. I voted no because it is totally useless here.

It is working with Silicon Dust devices now though.

Martin
(2020-10-06, 04:47 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Sub recently posted on this https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...#pid546667 and it is on his to do list, but it is correctly placed at a low priority.  I voted no because it is totally useless here.

It is working with Silicon Dust devices now though.

Martin

Yes I know sub put it on low priority he told me that many months ago sorry I didn't see that post talk about it after all it was about something else
That req more device hardware are you going buy them for you parents and or grand parents be it need be simple and add any wi-fi card for local hotspot support and add run mill Android Media Player sideload NextPVR
Will if work it with Silicon Dust then there should be no reason why PCIe and USB tuner can't to after all it just dose pull the data from PSIP
If I was setting up a NextPVR system for my parents, I certainly would use Schedules Direct to give the a full STB like experience.

It is not a very scientific poll now but I voted no for several reasons basd on my local stations

- many don't have any data,
- most don't provide more than 8 hours of data so multiple downloads will be required killing a tuner for 15 minutes probably right in the middle of something they are watching
- and only 1 has more than 24 hours.
- all of them provide limited data often just a show name with no description

If the idea is just to give the OTA TV with guide a good antenna does that.

Martin
(2020-10-06, 05:39 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]If I was setting up a NextPVR system for my parents, I certainly would use Schedules Direct to give the a full STB like experience. 

It is not a very scientific poll now but I voted no for several reasons basd on my local  stations

- many don't have any data, 
- most  don't provide more than 8 hours of data so multiple downloads will be required killing a tuner for 15 minutes probably right in the middle of something they are watching
- and only 1 has more than 24 hours.
- all of them provide limited data often just a show name with no description

If the idea is just to give the OTA TV with guide a good antenna does that.

Martin

I know all that Martin but keep in mind not everyone need the internet and using cell phone hotspot data cost 2x more and only thing they don't provide is just the season and episode info over PSIP that will change when ATSC 3.0 get support as it has 7+ day of EPG with all details.
(2020-10-06, 04:43 PM)shspvr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if DVB is support but if isn't it should to.
The DVB EPG is supported on Linux.

The ATSC EPG is in a partially done state. ie, it's reading all the show names and times (EIT). It needs the show descriptions to be read (ETT), and some xml logic.

I do still intend to revisit this, and finish it off. As mentioned it's been pretty low priority on my list. Realistically, Schedules Direct is a much better option for those that can get it.
(2020-10-06, 07:18 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]
(2020-10-06, 04:43 PM)shspvr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if DVB is support but if isn't it should to.
The DVB EPG is supported on Linux.

The ATSC EPG is in a partially done state. ie, it's reading all the show names and times (EIT). It needs the show descriptions to be read (ETT), and some xml logic.

I do still intend to revisit this, and finish it off. As mentioned it's been pretty low priority on my list. Realistically, Schedules Direct is a much better option for those that can get it.

Ok remove DVB thanks I wasn't for sure on it
(2020-10-06, 05:10 PM)shspvr Wrote: [ -> ]Will if work it with Silicon Dust then there should be no reason why PCIe and USB tuner can't to after all it just dose pull the data from PSIP

I just did an EPG scan with an HDHR and I think I was wrong since OTA ATSC isn't working on Docker (linux)

Martin
The EPG works with DVB versions of the HDHR. ie, not the ATSC EPG.