NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Can't get transcoding to work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am testing out the Linux version on Ubuntu 20.04.01 LTS, and have an Nvidia GPU (GTX 1050) using the proprietary 450 driver, and I can't get transcoding to work.  I tried playing a live channel, as well as recording and playing back through Kodi.  I am viewing remotely (recording in my office, Kodi running at home).  I have tried a couple profiles.  I looked at the logs, and don't see any reference to FFMPEG.  I did a search for transcode, and found a 41 references, but they all appeared to be profile definitions.

Is there something special I need to enable in Linux to get transcoding working?  I have already set it to VAAPI.  I also tried CPU.   

Current (non working) setting on the transcoder settings page are:

Preferred Streaming Profile - 144p (set low so it is obvious if it was working...I also tried 1080p).
Avoid transcoding where possible... - unchecked
Video Encoder - VAAPI, also tried CPU
Recording Auto Transcode - Leave recordings in native format. (I also tried 144p just to see)

When I look at the Video stats in Kodi, it still shows that it is streaming MPEG2, not h.264 (which I would expect), and the quality is clearly not 144p.

Any ideas?
The transcoding functionality is really about playback in the web app.

Kodi plays the native stream, so doesn't use transcoding (though I think there is some experiemental stuff that can be enabled).
To transcode to Kodi you need to use Matrix beta version

Martin
where would I find the experimental items to try?  

I did some further testing, and in a remote web page, I can get CPU encoding to work, but not the VAAPI recording.
ok, thanks for the answer.  I will stick with what I have for now.  Will re-visit later.
It isn't really experimental in Kodi at this point, several users have tested it so it it typical beta software. It is included in Kodi Matrix addons (v19)

There is no guarantee that VAAPI will work with all linux and video card variations. Using Kodi won't make VAAPI work any better.

Martin
Installing Kodi v19 and maintaining it would not be ideal on my 2 Shields.  Also, to keep the WAF at an acceptable level, I don't want to run beta software (IE: Kodi).  I have a solution now that is working for what I need, but using NextPVR would simplify some processes that I have running, but I would prefer to wait until it works in release software.  Also, not getting hardware accelerated transcoding working is not really an option for me.

I really appreciate the help though.
If VAAPI works in another app like jellyfin or Emby I am sure it can work in NextPVR once you are ready to try Kodi. You can run Kodi 19 on your office laptop for remote access without impacting the devices running in your home.

Martin
So I tried again this morning, installed Kodi 19 beta, and still didn't work.  CPU acceleration just caused Kodi to crash, and VAAPI just didn't work.  I am currently using Channels DVR, and HW acceleration works, but I don't know if it is using VAAPI or directly accessing my Nvidia API.
I would need to see the Kodi debug logs. Are you trying with ffmpeg.inputstreamdirect?

Martin
Pages: 1 2