NextPVR Forums

Full Version: With what Linux distros are users having NextPVR success?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for recommendations.  Between recording failures (tuner driver issue?) and Kodi crashes I'm about ready to declare Mint v19.3 a loss with v5.  I see a fresh rebuild in my near future.

What Linux distros/versions are other users using successfully?

With what tuners?  How many clients?

Any users running a local Kodi client on the server?

Thanks,
-Brad
Since you haven't even bothered to spend the 5 minutes I asked to set up four recordings see if the tuning issue is 100% reproducible I am getting a little tired replying to your posts. I seem to be spending more time on this then you.

We know there is a server crashing issue on exit from video that I have confirmed. It appears sub is not that interested in giving UI client a priority so that issue and the multiple recording reloads also on exit remain lingering problems. I suspect they are related.

UI client server logs are insufficient to see the state on the server so if the problem is how knewc is dealing with this undocumented protocol their is nothing I can do. It is likely the number of users of UI client is low so maybe consider switching to the Kodi PVR client.

I have yet to see a Kodi issue in your logs that can't be explained with a server problem. Changing your platform may not give you any satisfaction.

Martin
(2020-12-21, 01:54 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]It appears sub is not that interested in giving UI client a priority so that issue and the multiple recording reloads also on exit remain lingering problems. 
There is lots of things I'd want spend time on, and UI client is still pretty high on the list, but unfortunately my day job has been get in the way of other stuff this year.
I actually did do that test, over a week ago I think and posted the logs (or so I thought), but was more than a little befuddled not being able to find that post on here last night. The server PC was in use at the time, but I will check again when I get home tonight as I think that tab would still be up in the browser.

Year-end business has been crazy, but I should have some free time after Tuesday this week so I was looking for info on what is working for other users. I think you had suggested Ubuntu as it is the only officially supported distro for Kodi, I just wanted to see what others are using.
Remember none of the problems you have identified seem related to Kodi so I am not sure how changing from Mint for Kodi would help you beyond placebo effect. I can duplicate the backend crash on Debian 10, headless no Kodi running. The video in background issue is related to knewc exchange with NextPVR, again nothing to do with Kodi itself.

We'll wait and see how the logs turn up for the back to back testing for the tuner problem.

Martin
Sure enough, I left it in "Preview Post" mode and never pressed the Post button. The test logs should be in the other thread now.

https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.ph...#pid550743
Well Kodi itself does crash on occasion, so there's that.  There's also the problem with the PVR2250 tuner failing, I guess I don't know enough to know if a different distro/kernel version might help with that.

Grub makes it easy to install multiple OS's therefore I can always boot back to Mint, so I didn't see there was much to lose in trying except a bit of my time.
There is no harm in trying Ubuntu especially if you can get VDPAU working with whatever video card your are using.

Martin