NextPVR Forums

Full Version: which distro is best?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just looking for simplicity. What is the most likely distro to work with the least headaches?  I have several machines I was going to put it on.  All Intel 64 bit 2 gen, 4th gen, 8th gen.   I was thinking of MX Linux, Debian and Lubuntu.  Are any of these going to work? Whatever the choice it will go on all the machines.  Or is another one better hands down?  If so I can switch.

Many thanks for your input.

Edward
It you want to use the deb installer anything Debian based should work for the server, but I imagine you are talking clients given you only need one server, so this is not really not a NextPVR question.

Martin
(2021-03-09, 10:22 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]It you want to use the deb installer anything Debian based should work for the server, but I imagine you are talking clients given  you only need one server, so this is not really not a NextPVR question.

Martin

Thank you for the reply.  Actually its 3 separate machines, 1 for a neighbour, 1 for a  lightly used summer home and 1 for me.  So it will be 3 clients with servers.  The standalone pc's really are not used for anything other than recording and watching astc tv from an antenna.

The 3 I listed are pretty equal as far as nextpvr client and server running on them is what you are saying?  All involve debian from what I see in the description.

Is there any advantage to actually using Debian distro rather than the others based on it for Nextpvr?

Edward
Actually I am not saying that they are not equal since the clients are quite different. If you want to use Kodi, Ubuntu is the only supported distro by Team Kodi.

I'd probably consider trying to get a standalone server/client PC on LibreElec if you don't use any other apps.

Martin
(2021-03-09, 11:18 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I am not saying that they are not equal since the clients are quite different.  If you want to use Kodi, Ubuntu is the only supported distro by Team Kodi. 

I'd probably consider trying to get a standalone server/client PC on LibreElec if you don't use any other apps.

Martin

Thank you again. No not interested in Kodi.  The less software the better.  I was thinking that I would just run Nextpvr standalone on linux like I have on windows before.  Works great there.  no muss, no fuss. Just like my toaster, the world's most reliable appliance.

The ver 4 client on windows was a fantastic piece of work with no headstands required to make it work or learn it.  My wife loves it.

Edward
There is no Linux client so I guess you need to do a lot more research on your own. You can run knewc on Kodi to get the NextPVR UI.

Martin
(2021-03-10, 01:50 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]There is no Linux client so I guess you need to do a lot more research on your own.  You can run knewc on Kodi to get the NextPVR UI.

Martin
Ok thanks for the suprise.  Should have assumed less.  I see the atsc OTA epg is not working either in the wiki notes.  Cant really do without that essential feature even if I adopted kodi. Might have to rethink this.
(2021-03-10, 04:02 AM)eastavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-10, 01:50 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]There is no Linux client so I guess you need to do a lot more research on your own.  You can run knewc on Kodi to get the NextPVR UI.
 Might have to rethink this.

You can run the the NextPVR interface under knewc in Kodi and set it jump straight into NextPVR when Kodi starts ... starts and looks just like the real thing.

Or Windows can be bought legally for about £18 ... just sayin'
(2021-03-10, 11:46 AM)Graham Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-03-10, 04:02 AM)eastavin Wrote: [ -> ]
 Might have to rethink this.

You can run the the NextPVR interface under knewc in Kodi and set it jump straight into NextPVR when Kodi starts ... starts and looks just like the real thing.

Or Windows can be bought legally for about £18 ... just sayin'

You could probably also use Nlite although unlike knewc there isn't really any on-going support for that.

Also, where are you located and what tuner device(s) are you using? You reference ATSC which leads me to think North America, but here the OTA EPG data is really not very useful since it is typically only a few hours. I would strongly recommend that you consider Schedules Direct for your EPG data. It is much better than OTA EPG including information like unique show IDs, series/episode info, and artwork.
For Linux, NLite needs a community effort that doesn't exist, since it needs to be built for every distro and every version of that distro. It is not actually lite either it is a big download. Also pure UI clients don't support timeshfiting in Live TV which can be important to some users.

As Graham suggested Windows is a good option for standalone NextPVR systems, Many OEM systems have the Windows key right in the BIOS.

Martin