NextPVR Forums

Full Version: How do I configure GB-PVR Live TV to respond as fast as Live TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just did a fresh XP install, as well as reinstall of GB-PVR to an empty directory (had Hauppauge Remote control probems, but they're gone now).

I'm using the lastest build of GB-PVR, PVR-150, Hauppauge's Beta MPV software (services disabled), XP SP2, and the server is a dual-Xeon box with 1GB.

My question is, while using "Live-TV" what settings in GB-PVR do I modify so that a channel-change happens as quickly as possible, without the summary info overlay on the bottom of the screen & the red timeline overlay on the top of the TV display?

TIA,
crp
You get a slight improvement using the 'Force minimal OSD on MVP' setting.

When you watch TV on the MVP, its just playing a MPEG2 file, so you'll always have the overheads of:
- sending remote control commands across the network.
- going through the PVR card encoder
- waiting until the file grows to a sufficent size that the MVP can buffer enough data to begin playback
- passing the video data across the network
I did select "Force Minimal OSD". What about the 2 pre-play delay fields in the MVP section of Config? What do they do & can reducing those delays speed up the response time?

I've tried changing them already, but I didn't know what I was doing.

crp
The MVP pre-play delay is how long GB-PVR will record the Live TV file before it starts playback. The idea is to let the recording position of the file get a little ahead of the playback position.

If you reduce them, it will speed things up, but you're also more likely to get thrown back to the main menu often (because playback position its the end of the file).

On my machine its often about 2 seconds to change channel on the MVP, which is pretty good considering all the things that need to happen, but I agree its not ideal. Definitely not a good match for a channel surfer. Unfortunately, its just something we'll have to live with.
sub Wrote:You get a slight improvement using the 'Force minimal OSD on MVP' setting.

When you watch TV on the MVP, its just playing a MPEG2 file, so you'll always have the overheads of:
- sending remote control commands across the network.
- going through the PVR card encoder
- waiting until the file grows to a sufficent size that the MVP can buffer enough data to begin playback
- passing the video data across the network

This ended up taking up most of my afternoon and evening to troubleshoot (as well as a fresh reinstall of WinXP SP2, MVP, the PVR-150 & GB-PVR along the way).

The major problem was that, while in Live TV, I couldn't get the Hauppauge remote to respond to any channel keys except Volume Up/Down as long as I had "Force Minimal OSD for MVP" checked. To go through various GB-PVR settings, then back to the MVP software, rebooting, unplugging, etc, to finally see that it was the "Minimal" checkbox causing the problem (a lack of functionality in the remote control) is what took until 11:15 pm local time to figure out.

I'm back to having the red timeline bar at the top of the screen when I change channels, but at least I can key in the channel I want using the remote and it works.

Whew.