NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Roku Remote Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Using the Roku remote control with NextPVR can be a bit challenging as there are not as many keys as you might find on a TV remote.  That seems to be the nature of all new players though and I tried to make things as usable as possible.  To use the remote please review the keys and the Remote Extensions in the following link https://github.com/emveepee/Testing/wiki...dReference  A long press means holding the key for a half a second.

These instructions require you to make this change in config.xml

<LeftRightBehaviour>Long Skip</LeftRightBehaviour>

In addition to the NextPVR keys there are a few other things to note.

- The Remote Home key will exit the channel but leave you in the same screen when you return, if you want to Exit completely use the Exit option on the main menu.  

- A long  press on the * key will provide a channel specific Options Menu, use this to select a server if you have more than one, enter a remote IP or configure things if you run V4 and V5 together or access NextPVR remotely.   Also disable Direct Play if your Roku player doesn't support AC3 audio.

- Hitting * during video play will provide an option to show North American closed captioning. I tried to enable DVB subtitles but it is not clear it is possible.

In NextPVR hitting long press on OK will open a secondary dialog. There are currently two choices

- select numbers with left or right , this can be tricky RW and FW cause it number to move 10x but useful for percentage jumps in long lists and channel changing in the guide or live TV.  If you hit a number in a recording then you still need to use the left or right key or navigation. If you wish you can select the number withe the play key which is the same as number followed by the right key

With the up/down key you select colours on the Recording screen

Please use this thread to ask questions of provide suggestions on ways of improving remote navigation.

Martin
(2021-03-30, 04:07 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]- Hitting * during video play will provide an option to show North American closed captioning.  I tried to enable DVB subtitles but it is not clear it is possible.

Should this apply to Live TV? I have closed captions disabled in the global Roku settings, but I'm still getting them here, and can't figure out how to disable them. They seem to interfere with the UI, too; that is, both can't display at the same time, which makes it very difficult to interact with any menu overlays.
It should, if you hold the * key while watching Live TV or a recording you should get the Roku option menu to disable it.

Martin
(2021-06-03, 11:14 AM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]It should, if you hold the * key while watching Live TV or a recording you should get the Roku option menu to disable it.

Martin

During Live channel playback (or paused), if I press it, nothing happens. If I long press it, I get the "Configure NextPVR Server" screen.
Did you try during a recording or maybe during Direct Play Live TV? The * key is handled by Roku so I have no control how it works.

Martin
(2021-06-03, 02:50 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Did you try during a recording or maybe during Direct Play Live TV?  The * key is handled by Roku so I have no control how it works.

Martin

Yeah, I tried that, but it doesn't do anything in those situations, either.  To be sure, there's nothing wrong with the * button on my remote -- it works properly outside NextPVR. I know nothing about programming Roku channels, but I wonder if different model Rokus receive different button maps or something? This is a Roku Streaming Stick 3600X. I also had the idea to test the virtual remote in the official Roku Android app, and it doesn't help. It acts the same on a short press, it does nothing (and it looks like you can't do any long presses on the virtual remote).
Without that device to check there isn't a lot I can do. If you uninstall the channel make sure that global settings are off and reinstall the channel does that help? CC'ing on the Roku is an issue though https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Devic...d-p/524692 so maybe older devices are different too.

There are other setting on the * menu which have nothing to do with captioning though so the dialog should come up.

Martin

Thanks, tangential, but I can't find that 
thread that gives instructions on how donators can get a code to activate the non-trial version. Should I PM you my PayPal donation receipt # or something?

Quote:If you uninstall the channel make sure that global settings are off and reinstall the channel does that help?

Nope, no luck. Either your setting for CC doesn't clear on uninstall for whatever weird reason (and I have no idea how channel settings are saved on a Roku, just throwing the possibility out there), or uninstalling and re-installing with the Global CC turned off has no effect.

Modifying the various Global captions style settings works, fwiw. I'd had them all set to the defaults, but was able to change the caption background color, for example -- so the Global settings have some effect, just not on turning them off in NextPVR!

I'm not having the problem that you linked to where other people on the Roku forums are getting captions on various other channels. I just tried multiple apps, including installing the CBS app, and they are all turned off there. The problem is only on NextPVR for me.

Quote:There are other setting on the * menu which have nothing to do with captioning  though so the dialog should come up.

Yeah, it seems important to get this menu working. I also tried the * button during a commercial on Live TV where there are no CCs to interfere with the UI, but no luck there either. I simply get no settings menu.

One other issue that I'm seeing is that the remote seems to lag very slightly going through the menus in NextPVR, but not on the Roku in general.
As noted here you PM sub https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=62507 but you really are turning this into a personal thread which I hoped to avoid and why I ask users to open new threads.

Yes UI client screens do lag a little as the screen is sent from NextPVR. Your slow device probably comes into play but when I run on an RPi4 UI client seems quite usable. You also are only using slower wifi on your device.

It's actually not that important to me to get this working. as not all Roku devices have this issue. My target is devices that support AC3, especially TV's with Roku built in. If it was important I'd buy on on ebay but they cost more than proper Android TV devices like the Tivo 4k which is $30 right now. Anyone here with a spare old Roku stick can send one to me. I will create a test channel that disables subtitles completely to see what happens.

Martin
To close this particular topic in the Developer documenation https://developer.roku.com/en-gb/docs/de...caption.md I found this

Code:
Important notes about * button

All Roku devices (express, premier, premier+, premier Ultra) plus all TVs handle the * button.

If you are running the Video Node on older Roku devices, then the * button can only be detected at the channel level. As a result, you will not be able to disable the default UI on any of the older Roku devices.

So the mystery is solved.

Martin
Pages: 1 2