NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Roku Hardware
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There are many generations of Roku players that have support for various video and audio formats.  Some older players in particular don't support MPEG video support and many players old and new don't support AC3 audio decoding.  

The good news is that most TV's with build in Roku do support AC3,  otherwise the options can be limited if your player doesn't support AC3 decoding.  First see if you have the option on your TV, receiver or soundbar, you might be able to use AC3 pass through.  If not, you will need to disable direct play for Live TV and transcode recordings.  Fortunately transcoding audio is fairly straightforward.  I will be creating an additional thread for transcoding. 

A secondary issue is the the Roku cannot play all MPEG TS containers.  Some testers have reported errors on playback, typically reporting "Malformed URLs".  These will require remuxing of recordings and disabling Direct Play.

For 4K playback note Roku players do not scale 4K to 1080p.

It probably is a good idea for users to post experience with their hardware with the NextPVR channel.   Here are mine:

Roku Premier 3920x.  No AC3 decoding but AC3 passthrough works.  MPEG TS works with my tuners but MP4 is better.  No mute on the remote.

Roku Ultra 4800x.  AC3 decoding works MPEG TS works with my tuners but MP4 is better.  16:9 SD MPEG2 video is not rendered full screen.   It is a modern player though and can play new media formats like Dolby Vision, AV1, AC-4 in mkv and mp4 containers that many other player don't support.  

Martin
I'm testing on a Roku Streaming Stick 3600X
Roku Software version 10.0.0 build 4195-24
NextPVR UI Version 1.11 build 10

I already know that this Roku model cannot decode AC3. I don't know about its video format support situation, but I was able to play a NextPVR TV recording (without audio, of course, as I'm not hooked up to a digital audio decoding receiver).

However, when I go to Live TV, I get:

Starting Device. Please Wait...
Receiving Data ([various increasing numbers])
Streaming Failed (transcoder exited)
-2 The connection timed out.

I know the problem isn't my NextPVR server, as NextPVR Live TV playback is working just fine on my Fire TV Stick 4K within the NextPVR Kodi add-on.
Please open a new support thread with logs and I will have a look. Recordings can be transcoded easily with audio but we can discuss that in the other thread.

Martin
TCL 55S421
Software version 10.0.0 build 4209-93
AC3 support

Just discovered that developer mode is now working for this TV with version 10 software. With version 9.x only apps with a code could be added.
Thanks VCR58, always nice to find devices with AC3 support. I don't think developer mode is required for the NextPVR channel and it has code PK6HQLC, maybe they were blocking non-certified channels from your account?

Martin
(2021-09-03, 08:07 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks VCR58, always nice to find devices with AC3 support.  I don't think developer mode is required for the NextPVR channel and it has code PK6HQLC, maybe they were blocking non-certified channels from your account?

Martin

Thanks. I have the codes for the UI and UI testing Roku clients and they work fine from my account. Just thought it might be useful info.