NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Rename .mp4 to .ts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Remuxing the .ts files to .mp4 improves the NextPVR Roku app experience but that leaves two files for every recorded show.  I found that deleting the .ts file breaks the NextPVR web client link to the recording.

So, I tried deleting the .ts file, then I renamed the .mp4 file to .ts.  This fixed the recording link for the web client and it plays the recording fine.  Kodi also has no issue with playing the renamed mp4 file.

I haven't tried yet but I assume the NextPVR Roku app will have no issues playing the mp4 file with a .ts file extension.
You assume wrong, the Roku player will be told you are sending it a ts container so I'd expect an error. Sub has told us that deleting the ts file should work but I don't think it is working 100% so having sub look that would make sense from an NextPVR perspective. Logs might explain why that is failing.

You do have the option of using NScripthelper to rename the ts file to mp4 in the database. That might avoid some issues with the browser. I've never tested it, drive space per TB is too cheap for space for an extra recording to be a concern.

Really you have to think through your home environment since a web browser is actually not a versatile media player. If you do use your browser regularly for recording playback, then you must plan on transcoding at some point. NextPVR's canned transcoding profiles are universal but they aren't very flexible and are typically inferior to broadcast quality. You can improve on that in PostProcesing too but that takes scripting skill.

Sub and I are also looking into possible support for improved skipping in ts files via HLS in but there appear to be server issues to be worked out. Even with ts file you still would need to decide when to transcode those for the browser.

Martin
(2021-04-09, 05:11 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]You assume wrong, the Roku player will be told you are sending it a ts container so I'd expect an error.  Sub has told us that deleting the ts file should work but I don't think it is working 100%  so having sub look that would make sense from an NextPVR perspective.  Logs might explain why that is failing.

You do have the option of using NScripthelper to rename the ts file to mp4 in the database.  That might avoid some issues with the browser.  I've never tested it,  drive space per TB is too cheap for space for an extra recording to be a concern.

Really you have to think through your home environment since a web browser is actually not a versatile media player.  If you do use your browser regularly for recording playback, then you must plan on transcoding at some point. NextPVR's canned transcoding profiles are universal but they aren't very flexible and are typically inferior to broadcast quality.  You can improve on that in PostProcesing too but that takes scripting skill. 

Sub and I are also looking into possible support for improved skipping in ts files via HLS in but there appear to be server issues to be worked out.  Even with ts file you still would need to decide when to transcode those for the browser.

Martin

Well, my hair-brained idea was a flop. I'll post about deleting the .ts files with logs. 

I did a brief search for NScripthelper but I couldn't find anything for Linux. I'm a bit timid messing with the DB. I tried manually renaming using DB Browser but I ended up corrupting it. Fortunately, I saved a backup. I agree HD space is cheap but it seems inefficient to need two files for the best experience.

I rarely use the web app for streaming media, I just would like it to work if it is an option. Ultimately, I would like to use NextPVR Roku without the need for Kodi. The biggest thing the Roku app is missing is live TV timeshifting. Kodi for Roku isn't a thing yet and I doubt it will ever happen. The Fire TV Stick 4K with Kodi works OK but for some reason only HD channel recordings play with HW decoding. SD channels play live TV with HW decoding but the recordings play with SW decoding. This is only and issue with the Fire TV Stick.

Thanks
Timeshifting in UI Client on Roku, knewc and NLite would need to be implemented by sub in NextPVR.

Martin