NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Roku sunsettting non-certified channels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Roku users need to raise some complaints on the Roku forum. Without any published or reason warning (and any notice to me as a developer) I noticed that Roku is stopping private channels in March 2022.  The FAQ says to move to a new development IDK platform but my observation is very few devices support the IDK including the TV devices so I have no reason to follow that direction.

When I check my NextPVR channel I see this Expiry Date: Feb 23, 2022 (112 days left) so the clock is ticking.

The GUI used by NextPVR clearly does not meet the Roku Look & Feel criteria required for certification however after my next update I suppose I will probably try but I have a very low expectation of success.

Martin
Yeah, that sounds annoying.
So I did submit my app for analysis and as expected the game APIs that I use for screen rendering have all been deprecated so new channels can't use them. This basically means I have to figure out if I can use another API which doesn't support 2D graphics. It is not impossible that is what I do in knewc too, just not something I wanted to avoid. Game developers have noted that it is noticeably slower.

There probably aren't enough users of the Roku app to make my time worthwhile so as I posted in the beginning complain to Roku but I will poke away Don't expect any solution that will take you beyond next March You probably should consider an Android Player they are cheap and provide a reasonable alternative.

Martin
Dont give up, I am sure there are more users than you know1!! Maybe start a new thread and do a poll Smile
Are there plans to redo the channel to come into compliance? The roku integration is a key selling point for me and I am sure others Smile
I moved your post to a support thread from an announcement thread.

To answer you question I have not made a decision on whether to proceed or not but I am not actively developing this. Trying to do this without 2D graphics will be a challenge and the best toolkit to use won't work on Roku TV's.

I'm still waiting to see user complaints on the Roku blog. Did you post yet?

Martin
would you by chance have a link where to register a complaint?? I am not finding anything readily available
Posted
I got an email reminder today that the NextPVR Roku channel is expiring in 45 days. Time to consider Android or alternate players I think. I would recommend Americans start checking out your their local Walmart. The ONN Android player is $20 and sometimes they have the TiVo 4K for $15 and it has the best remote for NextPVR users. Even with built in Roku must TV's offer multiple HDMI input.

In comparison with the Roku, MPEG ts file playback support is excellent, live TV starts quickly and you get built in AC-3 support.

Martin
Pages: 1 2