NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NLite video hang
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Here's two cases where the video hung, but audio continued. I've seen this on 2 systems now. I exited NLite once the hang occurred.

I have the latest LavFilters. This happens on both a Windows 10 Pro and a Windows 7 Ultimate client.
I'm still seeing video hangs (audio continues) using NLite when playing OTA recordings from a Hauppauge WinTV 885 ATSC Tuner. Recordings from a Hauppauge Colossus 2 (Dish) periodically stutter, but I haven't seen the video hang.

I've encountered this against a server on Windows 10 64 bit and a server running Windows 7 Ultimate. (I currently have 2 servers setup and 2 different client workstations) They are older Shuttles, but have worked well in the past.

I've tested NLite on a Windows 7 (wireless) and a Windows 10 client (directly on the network). It typically doesn't take long to hang on either system.
I also have an Emby license, and Emby Theater will play the video, it's not super smooth, but watchable.

This is on the same systems/network I was using for V4 without much issue. The windows 7 server was upgraded to V5, the Windows 10 server is a clean install. I didn't use NLite much with V4, but it did work on the same system(s). I typically used the V4 client mapped to the V4 server drive from a Windows 7 system.

I've installed NLite on one of the servers and am not seeing a hang when run locally. Normally I would think this would indicate a network issue, but I'm running a gigabit network and didn't see these issues previously with V4. So I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment as to what to try next. There's nothing obvious to me in the NLite log.

NLite is the 11/18 build.
These logs are from the Windows 10 client/Windows 7 server.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.
The new NLite dshow version is completely different from the previous version, the only thing the same is the name, which can be quite confusing.

How does Kodi (pvr.nextpvr or knewc) work on the network client?

Martin
Yeah, I assumed NLite was new and improved. It works a lot better with my remote, but is unusable for me currently.
I was trying to avoid Kodi because it's not client/server and isn't supported on the Roku. I looked into it probably a year ago. As I recall, I would need to setup a shared database to use it on my windows clients.
I do have a couple Fire TV devices, so I'll give them a try using the Android client. I still haven't ruled out an Android TV device, but don't have one at the moment.
Most of my Roku's are older, I only have one that appears to work with the NextPVR app from the quick testing I did. I was going to test it more later. Emby on the Roku won't play anything, just hangs and is too much work to troubleshoot.
Ultimately, I was planning to use Jellyfin alongside NPVR, then I can watch external recordings and use many devices. I tested it out a while back and didn't see any issues with playback. I also like the fact it's open source and has a plugin for NextPVR. I don't like the UI much, but hopefully that can be customized easily... If I can find something that will work well on my devices, then I'll look at abandoning the windows clients.
Is Kodi your preferred client? What would you choose first other than Kodi?
I'm the wrong person to talk to because I have never had the success with NextPVR.exe that others seem to enjoy and I could always make it crash at will over wifi, the old streaming protocol didn't work for my use case. I don't download or rip video, so for local content I watch only what NextPVR gives me and Dolby AC3 is fine so no a/v extremes here.

I wasn't suggesting Kodi for all your media, just as a client for NextPVR mainly to test that http streaming is working. The shared database is only if you want networked meta data and resume from multiple clients. NextPVR is still my hub

I watch what I am developing for so today it is in NexPVR on a FireTV 4K MAX, yesterday it was a GCGTV. I like the ODroid N2 with Kodi but I need Netflix and Amazon Prime, and Spotfiy too. Whatever use also has to support Internet Radio and comskip and work great with a remote.

Of all the clients that I have written Jellyfin is the least satisfying for me. I had a real hard time with their developers who didn't care about breaking or documenting the plugin API's I needed Ultimately It was never stable enough. Now that JF is .net 6 I can't even build it or test it, so I have to wait for to see how the current version is. When I can I hope things change.

Without comksip both JF and Emby are currently a waste of my time.

Martin
(2021-11-23, 09:00 PM)artmetz Wrote: [ -> ]I'm still seeing video hangs (audio continues) using NLite when playing OTA recordings from a Hauppauge WinTV 885 ATSC Tuner. Recordings from a Hauppauge Colossus 2 (Dish) periodically stutter, but I haven't seen the video hang.

I've encountered this against a server on Windows 10 64 bit and a server running Windows 7 Ultimate. (I currently have 2 servers setup and 2 different client workstations) They are older Shuttles, but have worked well in the past.

I've tested NLite on a Windows 7 (wireless) and a Windows 10 client (directly on the network). It typically doesn't take long to hang on either system.
If you want to supply a sample recording, I'll try to reproduce it here.
(2021-11-23, 09:43 PM)artmetz Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I assumed NLite was new and improved. It works a lot better with my remote, but is unusable for me currently.
It works pretty well for me here against the channels/recordings I have on my NAS, but it is admittedly a very new application, only created a couple of months ago, and doesn't have a great deal of testing yet.
Have you hangs been when you're doing something like skipping, or just leave it playing and it eventually hangs?
Right now, I'm just starting a video and seeing the hang without any skipping. I've tried this on videos with and without comskip to rule that out.
I moved one of the servers to a different location on the network, which made no difference. So neither server seems to make a difference.
I'll be happy to test any suggestions you may have or any additional logging.
Even navigating the application can be slow, so maybe that's a clue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4