NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Kodi fail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nextpvr plays recordings just fine when accessed from a web browser. But Kodi playback quit working after I installed the new DeviceHostLinux file. (That was needed to fix the recording problem.)

Kodi displays a blank screen with no progress when a recording is selected. It exhibits the same behavior on all three devices I've tried.

Nextpvr Logs attached.
Kodi logs: https://paste.kodi.tv/ogajigexuf

Also, is there anything I can do about the channel copy bug you mentioned?

Bob
I also asked you if these were VOD from Pluto. The reason I ask is these can have very bad timestamps and might need a remux. I do see lots of stream errors.

Is it possible you have tried to comskip Pluto TV? That is almost impossible. Do things change if you remove the edl file.

Sub's looking into the issues with scanning on linux.

Martin
Removing the edl file does permit playback.

I can't recall ever having trouble with comskip and Pluto before.

But the problem is not with Pluto channels only. Some programs recorded from OTA channels do not play now. Some do. All played yesterday.

Is there something better than comskip available?

Bob
For me comksip is fine on everything but Pluto YMMV.

DO the OTA recordings that don't play work if you remove the EDL file too.

Martin
Right now, the only streams that do not work are Pluto recordings with edl files.

That was not the case last night and this morning. Nothing worked then. Progress!

I will try removing the edl files and re-running comskip on some of them to see what happens. Tomorrow.

Thank you, Martin, for your help.

Bob
Update.
Removing the edl files allows Kodi to begin to play videos properly, but without the ability to fast forward.
I ran comskip from the command line on one file using the same comskip.ini file. It ran, showed a few "panic: Audio buffer overflow, resetting audio buffer" lines but created the edl file properly as best I can tell. But it did not correct the problem. Kodi will not play recordings off of Pluto with an edl file in the directory.

New OTA recordings play with comskip operating properly.

But some of the Pluto recordings that have had the edl file removed freeze when trying to fast forward. "Mud" was the last example of this prior to pulling these logs.

Kodi logs: http://paste.kodi.tv/butibiwaza

Bob
I mentioned that the Pluto TV files might need a remux. Sound like they do. Try ffmpeg -i filename.ts -codec copy filename.mkv and then move the ts file out of the folder so NextPVR streams the mkv to Kodi and see if they work better. If so great, if not given that this is not a NextPVR or addon problem you can try on the Kodi forum. There is nothing more we can do for you, garbage in garbage out.

Martin
That works. Thank you.
Bob
(2021-12-11, 08:10 PM)Bstephens Wrote: [ -> ]Nextpvr plays recordings just fine when accessed from a web browser. But Kodi playback quit working after I installed the new DeviceHostLinux file. (That was needed to fix the recording problem.)

Interesting.

It is quite the opposite in my setup. 
NextPVR is running on an LXC Container (Ubuntu).
Clients: MacBook Pro(s) and FireTV Stick(s).

The Browsers on the MacBooks, Safari and Chrome, are not playing back content satisfactory.
Symptoms: 
1. It takes very long to start the video
2. Sometimes I have to enter space or enter to finally start it
3. the control of the video progress back is not working properly.
4. under Safari playback most often hangs after while (couple of minutes)

This makes playing back using the browser not really a practical solution.
Which is sad because I am not a big fan of Kodi because Kodi causes my Macbook Pro 16 to become hot when playing videos and also the user interface is not well designed.

What Client OS are you using and what browser?
(2021-12-15, 03:08 AM)Marty56 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2021-12-11, 08:10 PM)Bstephens Wrote: [ -> ]Nextpvr plays recordings just fine when accessed from a web browser. But Kodi playback quit working after I installed the new DeviceHostLinux file. (That was needed to fix the recording problem.)

Interesting.

It is quite the opposite in my setup. 
NextPVR is running on an LXC Container (Ubuntu).
Clients: MacBook Pro(s) and FireTV Stick(s).

The Browsers on the MacBooks, Safari and Chrome, are not playing back content satisfactory.
Symptoms: 
1. It takes very long to start the video
2. Sometimes I have to enter space or enter to finally start it
3. the control of the video progress back is not working properly.
4. under Safari playback most often hangs after while (couple of minutes)

This makes playing back using the browser not really a practical solution.
Which is sad because I am not a big fan of Kodi because Kodi causes my Macbook Pro 16 to become hot when playing videos and also the user interface is not well designed.

What Client OS are you using and what browser?
Safari is not particularly great with NextPVR. It's quite aggressive about not letting video playback start automatically, so usually you'll click a channel, see some progress info at the bottom of the browser, then nothing seems to happen (when the browser blocks playback from starting).

How quick video will start in the browser can vary quite a bit depending on the type of content. Ultimately this is down to whether the video is already in format that can be played in a browser or not. ie, IPTV can start live tv in the browser in a couple of seconds. If your stream is from a DVB source, it's going to need to be transcoded to play in a browser, and unfortunately that comes with about a 10 second hit. I wish browsers could play all types of streams, but they just can't, so it's a hit you need to live with when you're using a browser.

DirectPlay clients don't have to worry about transcoding video, so can be receiving a native stream from NextPVR within 1-3 seconds (depending how quickly the tuner does it's thing).

Kodi is the only publicly available directplay client available for the mac at this stage. I do also have a recently created new UI Client application for the mac, but this needs a little more work and isn't released at this stage. It gives the same user interface as if you were using Uidroid on your FireTV stick (https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=63151)
Pages: 1 2