NextPVR Forums

Full Version: Unexpected error in SAT>IP discovery, Address already in use
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

just installed NPVR on a Mac mini (Intel) with Big Sur, started it and got the error message:

Unexpected error in SAT>IP discovery(1): System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (48): Address already in use

I've done the same on a different machine (same OS) but didn't get that error there, so it seems that there is some software conflict on the Mac mini.
But how would I identify the conflict?

Cheers
Matt
Does it do it after a reboot?
I reported this last week from the RPi, it always did it even after a reboot.

Martin
If you run the following, is 1901 listed in the fourth column?

sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN
OK, a reboot fixed the problem.

Interessting fact: I've got a VirtualBox installed with an Ubuntu VM and a TVHeadend installation inside - that's the reason I would like to change to NextPVR because I don't like that overhead.

BUT: When I run into the issue the first time I hat stopped everything and quit VirtualBox before I started NextPVR.

I can reprodure the issue.
- reboot the Mac and just start NextPVR. Fine, no problem
- stop NextPVR
- start VirtualBox with VM and TVHeadend
- stop VirtualBox with VM and TVHeadend
- start NextPVR again. Error!

So it isn't a problem with NextPVR. For some reason the needed address (port) is not released when I stop the VirtualBox/VM/TVH.

BTW: "sudo netstat -tulpn | grep LISTEN " does not work on a mac. I did a "sudo netstat -anv -p tcp | grep LISTEN" instead. But no 1901 in the list anyway...
It sounds like that port isn’t being cleaned up when virtualbox is stopped. At least you know what causes it to happen. If you decide to go with NextPVR, and don’t need to switch between the two, you should be ok.
You didn't check UDP. NextPVR is clearly listening on 1901 on my macOS

sudo lsof -i -P | grep 1901
dotnet 902 martin 81u IPv4 0x 0t0 UDP *:1901

Martin
(2022-01-15, 08:38 PM)sub Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds like that port isn’t being cleaned up when virtualbox is stopped. At least you know what causes it to happen. If you decide to go with NextPVR, and don’t need to switch between the two, you should be ok.

Yes, I'm fine with that. Thank's anyway Big Grin