NextPVR Forums

Full Version: NextPVR on a Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Will NPVR v5.x run on a Raspberry Pi?  I have a 3B+ that I can use, or is it recommended to use a PRi4? 

I no longer record from Live TV.  The majority of my channels are streamed and the service that I use provides DVR storage. Now a days I only use NPVR for local channels and that's only so I can see local news, otherwise, I really don't use it much anymore and I'd like to move the service to something else.

Thanks

Daryl
Yes and no. What is your client and what is your tuner?

Martin
(2022-03-29, 08:23 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Yes and no.  What is your client and what is your tuner?

Martin

My clients are all RPi4's and my tuner is a Silicon Dust dual. 

Daryl
Your tuner should be ok and none of the RPi's support the web player's transcoding requirements so things seem good. I guess we can assume LE and Kodi for lack of information. The 3B+ should be OK. You can even install NextPVR directly on LE 10 or use Docker arm on other versions of LE. I'd give it a whirl on an existing machine to see it's not that hard with an HDHR and an Schedules Direct account. 1GB might an issue for that on the 3B+

The biggest worry with any RPi would be the wear on the SD card for the Live TV buffer.

Martin
(2022-03-29, 10:24 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Your tuner should be ok and none of the RPi's support the web player's transcoding requirements so things seem good.  I guess we can assume LE and Kodi for lack of information.  The 3B+ should be OK. You can even install NextPVR directly on LE 10 or use Docker arm on other versions of LE.  I'd give it a whirl on an existing machine to see it's not that hard with an HDHR and an Schedules Direct account.  1GB might an issue for that on the 3B+

The biggest worry with any RPi would be the wear on the SD card for the Live TV buffer.

Martin

Martin,

Yes, you are correct, I am using LE v10 on the 4 media Pi's.  The comment that you made about burning out the SD card is understandable.  I didn't think of that.  In that case, I'll keep NPVR where I have it.

I appreciate the information Marvin.

Daryl
(2022-03-29, 10:24 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]Your tuner should be ok and none of the RPi's support the web player's transcoding requirements so things seem good.  I guess we can assume LE and Kodi for lack of information.  The 3B+ should be OK. You can even install NextPVR directly on LE 10 or use Docker arm on other versions of LE.  I'd give it a whirl on an existing machine to see it's not that hard with an HDHR and an Schedules Direct account.  1GB might an issue for that on the 3B+

Martin

So I did a forum search on linux docker for NextPVR, and I found this thread.  I know its older, but I like to use the most relevant thread if there is one. 

To continue the discussion on NextPVR options from Martin, I installed the "nextpvr/nextpvr_arm32v7" docker image and have it setup on a Asus Tinkerboard S.  The image says it was uploaded by the community user "NextPVR".  I have 2 questions:

1.  Is this image created by someone at NextPVR or just some unaffiliated user who calls himself NextPVR?
2.  If it is an official image, is it supported, and even updated?
3.  I have attempted to use the Zap2xml.pl freely available perl script to pull EPG from Zap2it, but the perl installation in the image is broken: perl (cpan module), make, etc. dependencies are missing

I can make a separate thread for the perl stuff, but really my question is about the support to start with.  If its an official image that gets updates and support, then really this is just a matter of fixing/updating the image. 

Thank you any and all for you input!
There are some community builds but sub the sole author of NextPVR does release the ones that he provides link to on this forum

Also I personally don't support Docker on devices that support native Debian/Armbian packages. I also don't provide any support for zap2xml. I did update zap2epg so that it support NextPVR and so it works with Nexus but I haven't decided if I will release it, since I'd rather users just pay for Schedules Direct. That python code still basically works.

Martin
(2023-01-20, 08:57 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]There are some community builds but sub the sole author of NextPVR does release the ones that he provides link to on this forum

Also I personally don't support Docker on devices that support native Debian/Armbian packages.  I also don't provide any support for zap2xml.  I did update zap2epg so that it support NextPVR and so it works with Nexus but I haven't decided if I will release it, since I'd rather users just pay for Schedules Direct.  That python code still basically works.

Martin

The question I had is if the docker image I found on docker hub was created by anyone @ NextPVR, and if so if they (the author) is on this forum and is willing to support it.  The issue is not with Zap2xml and I don't need help with that.  The issue is a broken perl install in the docker image.  If you didn't create it, don't know the answer to my question, or are unwilling to offer your support, feel free not to respond.  Thanks!
I thought I did answer?

Martin
(2023-01-20, 10:41 PM)mvallevand Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I did answer? 

Martin

You are not the author, and you are not interested in supporting any of it so your response is irrelevant, but thank you for your input!!
Pages: 1 2 3